Old forum

None Zumo related? then feel free to chat about it here anything goes.
kernowing
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 55 times
Great Britain

Re: Old forum

Post by kernowing »

IF we were able to get 100 registered members to put up $25 each it could be done. BUT would we want to, are we not managing quite well as things are ??
2007 GL1800 Goldwing
2018 Triumph Speedmaster 1200 (now sold)
Zumo 660LM
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

If the old database is bought it would require a lot of work to get it to work on here plus I would need the domain name too without that the members wouldn't know where to go!

Yes there is a lot of info in the old database but without members it's useless

There is already a wealth of knowledge within the members on this forum and 90% of the time new members on forums will always ask the same questions that's already been answered

In my opinion we just need to somehow get members on to here and start asking the questions to get the knowledge posted

I am open to suggestions of what you want to see on the forum too and I think its time to move forwards
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Very strange all this. He clearly wasn't going to get that money back if he kept running the database so why so insistent he should get money now. I'm not keen on paying him anything, I'm sure we can recreate what we need over time. Some of it is available via http://archive.org/web/
Wingstyle
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times
United States of America

Post by Wingstyle »

My 2 cents. In a free market, Wally is free to ask whatever he likes for the information gathered on his site. He knows how much work he put in and what he thinks it is worth to him. However; In my opinion, it is not worth what he is asking. I am in agreement with Stu and Sussamb. We should move forward.

The knowledge is with the people that post the answers. We need to get the word out to try and get as many of them over to this site. With them and new knowledgeable people that will join, in time this site will grow and become just as good, or better, than the old site.
kernowing
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 55 times
Great Britain

Post by kernowing »

I'm happy to go along with what we've got so far. I don't think anyone who's asked a question has come up against a brick wall (so far)
Since 22nd April when Stu kicked this forum into gear the membership has grown to 111 which in less than 2 months is not bad in my opinion. So thanks Stu and keep up the good work :) I'm off on tour tomorrow, so may be needing some advice if my 660 goes into meltdown in the middle of an Alp :lol:

Edit 112 members 8-)
2007 GL1800 Goldwing
2018 Triumph Speedmaster 1200 (now sold)
Zumo 660LM
electro_handyman
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

One thing that comes to my mind, is there really $2500 worth of info that would be useful. Doubtful.
How much of it is for old product that is long since past EOL. Chances are if someone with an old unit has a catastrophic issue, they are most likely to upgrade it to something new, in which case that old info wouldn't help.....

+1 for moving forward.
Sleuth
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 16 times
Belgium

Post by Sleuth »

Hi finally I have been home & thought about this.

I have posted a note on my other forums: www.bmwlt.com & https://1200rt.com

This is what I have posted:
Hi everyone,
Hope this does not tread on any toes, this is just for information purposes not to generate traffic.
Just to let anyone who used www.zumoforums.com, and is wondering what happened.
The owner retired, and decided he could not keep the forum open. He wanted money to transfer the original data, which was not forthcoming.
In the end, a new forum has been started www.zumouserforums.co.uk) with a number of the original members. I have also made the switch.
So if you used zumoforums.com and want to keep up with some of the old regulars, you can find us at: www.zumouserforums.co.uk

Best regards
Sleuth

Hopefully it will not be treated as spam, but more for the information that it is.

Best regards
Sleuth
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT, BMW Navigator IV
Maps: Europe NTU 2024.10
Software: Basecamp (4.7.4) & Mapsource (6.16.3)
Computer: PC (Windows 11 Home)
Motorcycle: BMW R1200GSA (2020)
alan sh
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 26 times
Great Britain

Post by alan sh »

Not a chance.

When we start forums (and I manage 2), we accept this is a labour of love. If he wanted it to be a commercial venture, then that should have been done at the start.

If we did get this database, someone would need to convert it to this format - do we then pay them for that? And so it goes on.

Of course, this is just my opinion.....

Alan
Alan
Owner of 3 Zumo 660's, one 346 and 2 bikes
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

alan sh wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:51 am Not a chance.

When we start forums (and I manage 2), we accept this is a labour of love. If he wanted it to be a commercial venture, then that should have been done at the start.
This!

I own another forum which is 10 years old (www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk) I'm not running it to make a profit although I don't want to be out of pocket on the hosting and stuff but the members do chip in and help to keep the place free to use without intrusive advertising

I have a couple of advertisers which pays for the hosting each year

If I was to give it up yes I may sell it but it would be for a reasonable price and it would be in the interest of the members and not for a company to make a profit the chances of me taking cash for it is very slim though as I would probably pass it on to one of my moderators
Steve W
Been liked: 10 times
Canada

Post by Steve W »

My vote is to build this site and let the previous one fade away. Rewarding bad behaviour isn't the way to go.