Hello from East Tennessee

Feel free to join up and say hello here.
pidjones
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Hello from East Tennessee

Post by pidjones »

Just mounted a new Zumo 396 on our GoldWing after removing the trusty, dim, harder to load maps each time, longer to find satelites each time StreetPilot 2730 that has served me so well since 2005. With lifetime maps subscription, the 2730 led us up and down the Blue Ridge Parkway, to NOLA and back, bypassed interstates to Barber Motorsports Park, traveled to Hawaii and helped us find good snorkling beaches. It also aided in bypassing traffic snarls quite a few times, and was my companion for daytrip explorations in our beautiful mountains in all directions. We do have a Nuvi 755lmt for the car, but seldom use it. We use our phones as phones primarily, and even the youngest daughter uses her Nuvi 50lm for navigation instead of her phone (we are on a limited shared data plan).

Having recently retired and desiring to tour more, I realized that the 2730 was begining to show signs of failure. Taking ten minutes or more with a clear sky view to lock on to satelites was getting worrysome. I had stripped all that I could from its memory, and yet could only load small subsets of the USA (after jumping through additional hoops each time to download them) when doing map updates.

Installation was easy. The 2730 was on a RAM ball mounted on the clutch perch clamp, so just the short arm was used for mounting the 396 mount. Wiring followed the same path and went to the same auxilliary power connector that had powered the 2730.

Now I need to spend some time with it and learn how to do the things that were second-nature on the 2730. I'm not really upset with all of the unit changes. How many automobile controls are identically positioned, even within the same brand? Or TV remote buttons? Or how many times have you found the taps reversed on a sink? I don't see learning the 396 as an issue. Basecamp, that may be a much bigger mountain to climb. So far, using Mapsource for planning and creating the route, importing to Basecamp and then loading it to the Zumo has worked, but I worry about the routing changes that each itteration might create. Reviewing a trip is fairly easy on the laptop. Reviewing a 300-400 mile per day weeklong trip on the GPS might be unreasonable, and I've yet to find an option to turn recalculation of an imported route off.

Anyway, I'm here to learn and share if possible. It isn't the best rding weather for the nect few months, so I will be studying Basecamp tutorials.
advnzer
Been liked: 8 times
New Zealand

Re: Hello from East Tennessee

Post by advnzer »

just start using it it will become normal quite quicklyTry to ensure that the map on device and in basecamp are identical and use the same "activity" oon basecamp and the device.Motorcycle can give some strange results.
Sleuth
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 16 times
Belgium

Post by Sleuth »

Welcome to the forum.

There are some excellent guide locations within the forum - I don't have the capability of giving the links just yet. Plus a number of people have excellent knowledge to assist with any queries.

However the best thing is to just play with it. Make smaller routes amend them etc. The principles are not so different from MapSource, so it is not so difficult to get to grips with the basics.

Best regards
Sleuth
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT, BMW Navigator IV
Maps: Europe NTU 2024.10
Software: Basecamp (4.7.4) & Mapsource (6.16.3)
Computer: PC (Windows 11 Home)
Motorcycle: BMW R1200GSA (2020)
tojjer
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

Welcome, I was the biggest whinge about Basecamp, believe me. It just all of a sudden clicks on how to make routes. I still find Garmin and Basecamp maps and software "old fashioned", but it does work.
Have a play
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Hi and welcome

I hated basecamp in the beginning once I figured it out its not so bad!

I must say though it could do with dragging in to the 21st century
pidjones
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by pidjones »

You know, I've never read any glowing comments about BC, even from those that never used MS. I really enjoyed using MS to put together trips for the 2730. I knew that it was not good at sticking to the same road (try to build a route for the Blue Ridge Parkway in it), but for the most part it was the devil I knew. BC is a new devil. That it seems no one is really pleased with.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 354 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

I must be the exception then, switched to BaseCamp from MapSource around 5 years ago and wouldn't go back :D
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

sussamb wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:26 pm I must be the exception then, switched to BaseCamp from MapSource around 5 years ago and wouldn't go back :D
Ditto here. I started with MapSource way back and switched over to BaseCamp. I found most things the same obviously and the newenglandriders tutorial really brought everything together for me. The problems I have seem to be the device, a 595, rather than BaseCamp, as my old nuvi does not exhibit the same rebellious behavior.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Wingstyle
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times
United States of America

Post by Wingstyle »

Welcome to the forum Pidjones.

I wasn't crazy about changing from MS to BC, mainly because it was a change :) Once I took the plunge and started using BC I found it was not so different from MS in actual route planning. BC uses a database for route management, where with MS you have to save your routes as files. This took some getting used to. After using BC and getting familiar with it I kind of like it better than MS. Unfortunately, I have a 660 and the two don't always play nice together which is known by Garmin. I have stated before that I wish Garmin would keep MS updated or fix the issues BC has with older units like the 660. I'm still wishing for this. I don't think either will happen, so I will just keep living with the nuances.

As others have said; just play with BC and you will get the hang of it.