Hello from North Texas!

Feel free to join up and say hello here.
maddscot
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Hello from North Texas!

Post by maddscot »

Not new to riding nor to GPS systems but still trying to figure them out! Currently balancing between a TomTom Rider 550 and a new to me Garmin XT. Simple routing is what I am looking for that enables me to pick the roads I wish to ride/explore and ensure the unit keeps me on track. Been down the road of phone routing (Google My Maps etc.), various GPS units and currently have a love / hate relationship with the new Garmin so hoping to get some tips, tricks and guidance here that doesn't cause me a stroke.

Familiar as well with MyDrive app (like it - simple, and works well with the Rider 550), and have tried my hand at BaseCamp (and failed miserably and angerly) once again. Really looking for that simple mix of getting the unit to stick to the planned route, and to easily create routes. I feel the Garmin has more hoops to jump through and currently searching the forum threads like crazy...

Current bikes are 2002 Triumph Bonneville Centennial and 2021 Harley Softail Slim. Will often have another Brit or Italian project going as well.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Hello from North Texas!

Post by jfheath »

Welcome from the UK, and thanks for joining us.

Basecamp isn't that bad once you get used to using it - and it ends up doing a better job than many others - as it is specifically designed to work with Garmin's Zumos. But many people don't like it, so it has a reputation which I can fully understand, but which I don't agree with.

Many people like to 'lace their routes' with lots of route points in order to keep the satnav on track. I don't find that to be necessary. A start, a finish 2 or 3 stopping places and maybe 3 additional (shaping) points between stops, strategically placed to keep the Zumo on the roads that I want. And all done with Basecamp. I have yet to come across a piece of mapping software that works exactly the way that the Zumos work.

Good luck with the research. This is a Zumo forum, but there maybe people here that have moved on from (say) the TomTom. Find the ZumoXT forum and pose the questions there.

Good luck with your hunting.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
maddscot
United States of America

Post by maddscot »

Thanks, and I do plan on getting more familiar with Base Camp as I feel no need to plan on this app, transfer to that app, convert to this type, and cross my fingers. One thing I do prefer for sure is the unit itself, brighter, larger and more information available, though I lean to simple. Just as an FYI I actually read many of your posts, and searched on your name specifically (not stalking) to review related topics. Really apricated the way you put things into layman's terms...
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Welcome from me too, spent much of my 2 years in the US in San Antonio.

One really good tutorial from your side of the pond that might help is

https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/

If not there are many here to help.
maddscot
United States of America

Post by maddscot »

Yes been reading that as well as EZ Moto Tim on YouTube. Thanks!