How do you clear the internal memory down or transfer it to a an sd card?

Feel free to join up and say hello here.
croft.steven

How do you clear the internal memory down or transfer it to a an sd card?

Post by croft.steven »

Hi all,
New to this forum and looking for help with a Zumo 550 that has North American maps on and an sd card with full Europe maps on. Have a back up of American maps but cannot back up Europe map as something seems to be missing when I tried to transfer to a larger sd card. Also the internal memory is at 97% and would like to know how to move both maps over to work from the sd card to free up some of the operating memory as it freezes on occasions and have to restart. I have a Mac system computer with base camp and Garmin express on. Any help or knowledge appreciated. Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: How do you clear the internal memory down or transfer it to a an sd card?

Post by sussamb »

I suspect you bought the EU map on the sd card from Garmin? If that is the case I'm afraid you can't do what you want, the map is locked to the card so can't be transferred to a larger one, well to be exact it can be but it won't work :)

Not sure why your internal memory is so full but first thing I would check as you're on a mac is empty the trash.
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

The North America maps won't fit entirely in the internal memory of the 550, so you clearly could get internal memory close to 100%.

You won't ever need to run the 550 with Europe and North America loaded at the same time. So, buy a new SD card and use MapInstall to load the North America map to the SD card. That will leave your internal memory about 1/2 full.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
carolinarider09
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 35 times
United States of America

Post by carolinarider09 »

I have never found a way to "clear" the internal memory on my 550. So, I use the following method to install the full US maps on my 550.

Here is how to update the maps on a Zumo 550 with lifetime maps. It requires an SD Card (I used an 8 gig card) and access to a computer with Garmin Express loaded and two USB connections so you can connect both the Zumo and the 8 gig card.

You connect the Zumo (I took the SD Card out of mine) and the 8 gig card (freshly formatted in FAT 32) to the computer and copy all the files from the Zumo's memory to the SD Card. In essence cloning the Zumo's internal memory.

You now eject your Zumo 550 from the computer, leaving the SD Card connected.

Once done, you can launch Garmin Express with the SD Card still installed and it will see it as your Zumo 550.

It will ask if you want to update maps (if new maps are available) and you just tell it to go ahead (well you actually have to use the mouse)

In about two or so hours, the new maps will be updated to the SD Card.

Now you have to do the following in the Garmin Folder on the SD Card

Rename the map files (in the Garmin Folder) from gmapprom.img, gmapprom.gma and gmapprom.unl to gmapsupp.img, gmapsupp,gma and gmapsupp.unl. You will need to do this after Express has finished installing the map on the SD. The map files must remain in the \Garmin folder on the SD card.

I then deleted all the other folders (except the Garmin Folder) from the SD Card, ejected the SD Card from my computer and put it into my Zumo 550.

Start your 550 and the maps will be downloaded or should I say, linked, to your device.

I just did this and now have the 2019.10 maps for North America on my device (lower 49). I am now going to go back to the SD Card and put the Audible and MP3 folders back on the card and re-load the music I had there.