Installing map to PC

JohnnyRidesAlone
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Re: Installing map to PC

Post by JohnnyRidesAlone »

Just as a bit of a side bar, why do you think they got rid of the feature to opdate you PC maps. Forcing you into using your device map? Has to be about money. This "we are in control" approach is increasing in tech and is getting me even more wound up.
Ducati Multistrada V4S and ST4s
Every zumo from 550 590 660 XT
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Hasn't been got rid of, the only issue is with the XT and Garmin hope to resolve that shortly
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

JohnnyRidesAlone wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:01 pm Just as a bit of a side bar, why do you think they got rid of the feature to opdate you PC maps. Forcing you into using your device map? Has to be about money. This "we are in control" approach is increasing in tech and is getting me even more wound up.
I was looking at the files that were created for the previous verison and the ones that are created now. Has the format changed ? I would guess that there is so much going on with topo maps, routable maps, parkopedia, foursquare, digital elevation etc etc, that across the range of products which I assume all use the same mapping, they have had to rationalise the way that the various sections of mapping are handled, in order to improve performance. Maybe a more serious issue had been identified with the existing map format and the XT, and that had to be addressed first ?

I don't know. Just batting thoughts about, giving the benefit of any doubt. I spotted something else that had developed from v2.30 to v2.90. I thought it was a series of errors, but looking at it again without being annoyed that my Zumo wasn't working properly, it seems more like planned development. Pity it wasn't developed before I bought one, but I'm liking it now.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.