Installing map to PC

Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Re: Installing map to PC

Post by Peobody »

Rofor wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:13 pm Again, for me it doesn't look like they changed the map format - maybe you have installed the map also on PC before(!) you made the firmware-update to 5.90 or 6.10?
I did, once. My impression is that the process of installing the map on the PC results in the map files on the PC being different than what is on the device. But if that were the case, it doesn't make sense that BaseCamp can use the maps on the device. Frustration with Garmin increases as the days go by with this not addressed.
Rofor wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:13 pm For me, this (changing maps) also would not make sense, as Garmin would have to manage another set of maps only for the Zumo XT and the new Garmin Treat!
Good point!
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Rofor
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 56 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

Peobody wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:59 am I did, once. My impression is that the process of installing the map on the PC results in the map files on the PC being different than what is on the device. But if that were the case, it doesn't make sense that BaseCamp can use the maps on the device. Frustration with Garmin increases as the days go by with this not addressed.

Yes - for this point you are wright! The Zumo's handles the whole map in once and BaseCamp split's the map in little chunks. I think the reason of this is the possibility of faster access. When you connect the Zumo's to BaseCamp, their onboard maps seems to be indexed and there is some form of caching for the maps to allow faster access - but even on fast PC's and the faster connection of the Zumo XT the access is noticeable slower when compared to the on-pc-installed map...

What i think is - the access of unit-bound maps in BaseCamp is included for the units, which never had the possibility to install those maps on PC/Mac. As Garmin seems to have some base-functions for all navigation units, this works also for the street-based units like the Zumo family...
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Peobody wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:59 am My impression is that the process of installing the map on the PC results in the map files on the PC being different than what is on the device. But if that were the case, it doesn't make sense that BaseCamp can use the maps on the device. Frustration with Garmin increases as the days go by with this not addressed.
MapSource, BaseCamp's predecessor, could only read maps installed on your computer, and BaseCamp uses the same files so you can run both together. What changed in BaseCamp was the ability to read .img files from a device, which means not just Garmin map files but also map files from third party providers so it's a big step forward. Not sure why this should frustrate you :?:
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

It's the slowness and inconvenience of having to work in BaseCamp using a map on a device that is frustrating.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Well under MapSource it was impossible but there are numerous ways to speed up the process with BaseCamp, see here as possibly the best way forward if wherever the map or maps came from doesn't provide an installer for your PC or Mac

https://www.javawa.nl/virtualdevice.html
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I looked into the virtual device option, specifically ImDisk. I can see how it likely will work but I found little documentation for ImDisk other than it's list of command line options. Not knowing how it works or what it does to my hard drive keeps me away. It also concerns me that I haven't seen anyone comment on the virtual device approach working for them.

I am very surprised that there are Zumo XT users who find it acceptable to have to jump through hoops in order to use BaseCamp with their free maps without having to attach the device. Obviously I'm not one of them so I think we can leave it at that.
colirv
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

I suspect there are many XT owners like me who happily use Basecamp on their computer without attaching their device. This problem has only come about recently. I'm simply sitting tight, as my NTU 2021.1 map is reasonably up-to-date, and I hope to delay updating it until this XT problem is solved.
Colin
BMW R1250RS
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

colirv wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:58 pm I suspect there are many XT owners like me who happily use Basecamp on their computer without attaching their device. This problem has only come about recently. I'm simply sitting tight, as my NTU 2021.1 map is reasonably up-to-date, and I hope to delay updating it until this XT problem is solved.
I created a route using the 2021.3 map in BaseCamp and that route got recalculated by the device using its 2022.1 map. Shaping points were ignored. Is there be a setting somewhere that will prevent this?
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Peobody wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:11 pm I created a route using the 2021.3 map in BaseCamp and that route got recalculated by the device using its 2022.1 map. Shaping points were ignored. Is there be a setting somewhere that will prevent this?
Try this, I have no idea if it'll work:

After you make your route with 2021.3, in the list (bottom left) double click the route name so the pop-up box of picked points, route name & color, etc. opens. Click the tab ROUTE OPTIONS. Change the ROUTING PROFILE to CUSTOMIZE ROUTE OPTIONS then scroll down and select/tick the options you want.

Now when you close that box the little icon next to your route name will change. Now try it to see if the route changes with 2022.1 maps. This process works with the 595 so maybe it'll help you.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Thanks Russ. I'll give it a try first chance I get.