Sending Routes to Zumo 450/550

MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Sending Routes to Zumo 450/550

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

As part of a thread on the 450/550 sub forum, I made a change to a route and wanted to send it to my 550.

I did this in Mapsource (6.16.03) and sent the route. When I ejected the 550 from my PC and it booted up, it told me that it had new data to be managed. I selected that, and the screen for the new data was EMPTY, no route. I tried more than once, changed the name o the route in MS and tried again, still no route in the Zumo.

Eventually I tried playing around with the 550 in BaseCamp and when the Zumo powered up with the new data message, my routes were there to be imported. Including the route that I ONLY renamed in Mapsource. Then I tried my 450. That device also would not display any new data after the send to device in Mapsource. In BaseCamp, all I did was send one Waypoint to the 450, no routes. When the 450 booted up, after that, the Favorite was there along with the Route to be imported.

Garmin's long advice for the 450/550 was that you had to use Mapsource, not BaseCamp. Is this still true? And if so, is this work-around that I was forced into the only way to get new data to show up in these Zumos?
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
carolinarider09
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 35 times
United States of America

Re: Sending Routes to Zumo 450/550

Post by carolinarider09 »

I just saw your message. I have not used Map Source in a while. But just wanted you to know I did read it.

I still use Microsoft Streets and Trips. :)
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Re: Sending Routes to Zumo 450/550 SOLVED

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

While investigating the mystery straight line issue that I had on my 450 and 550, I found the solution to sending multiple routes at one time to the Zumo 450 and 550. When using MapSource, I usually keep each route in a separate file. I always found this easy to manage and I think this was probably a reason that I found the transition to the BaseCamp database format to be difficult.

But, when you use "Send to Device" in MapSource, it sends any routes that are there. In order to send multiple routes, you need to open a MapSource session - it could be a new one, or an existing route. Then open a second MapSource session for a different route. Copy route #2 and paste it into the first MapSource session. Keep doing this for as many routes as you want to transfer.

Attach the Zumo 450/550 to the PC. Open a file explorer session and go to the Garmin device, then into the GPX folder that is in the Garmin folder. Delete the two gpx files there - Current.gpx and Temp.gpx. Then go to MapSource and use Send to Device for the MapSource session that has multiple routes in it. When the data has been transferred successfully, Eject the Garmin and let it boot up. It will see the new data and you should work with the new data. All of the routes that were in the MapSource session should be ready to import into the Zumo. When I did this, I had one Waypoint in the session also and it was sent to the Zumo. I don't know if it will work without a Waypoint included.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6