Apparently Maps expire

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
knnelg
Great Britain

Apparently Maps expire

Post by knnelg »

Hi,

Apologies for the length of this, I just want to rant.

I've worked with/in IT most of my working life, so I like to think I'm able to work with all kinds of operating systems and applications as well as programming languages. However, there is just something about Garmin and the way its software and licensing works that completely flummoxes me.

I have a Zumo 660 (European maps) which I've used since 2012 and it's still going strong. In 2013 I purchased the CN North American NT map. I've never been able to download either the European or North American maps onto my PC for use in Basecamp without the 660 being connected. In 2013 I was told this was as it should be, so I've just always accepted the fact I need to have the device connected in order to plan routes in Basecamp.

A couple of weeks ago, I connected my 660 to my PC and launched Basecamp, updated to latest release, and all was fine. Until I tried to switch to the North American map. This resulted in an error ("An error occurred when attempting to use the CN North America NT 2014.20 Map product"). When I close the error dialogue box, then the NA and Euro maps disappear from my map selector. A restart of Basecamp allows me to use the European maps again, but as soon as I try to switch to the NA maps, the error appears again.

I then read about Garmin express, and was under the impression that It lets you manage maps and download them to your PC as well as the device. However, when I installed and logged into Express, it only shows my device, and not the map that I purchased.

So I had an online chat with Garmin support. Long story short, I'm told that...

1) "You can only download maps that came with the original device, to your PC"
2) "The NA map you purchased expired after 1 year, so it no longer appears in your list of maps, and cannot be re-downloaded"
3) "The issue you are experiencing is an issue with Basecamp. uninstall and reinstall to rectify"

Needless to say I've reinstalled and the issue persists. I was thinking of upgrading to 595 or an XT, but this is making me wonder whether I should try TomTom again.

Can anyone confirm or contradict the above comments from Garmin support?

Rant over.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Apparently Maps expire

Post by sussamb »

1 is correct, assuming you bought a download from Garmin. However you can simply copy the map files to a removable drive, either virtual or physical, and BC will read the files from there, so no need to connect your device.

2 is also correct. Although it's wrong to say it's expired, it's just no longer available for download.

3 is possibly correct, I've never seen the issue your having with BC

Incidentally maps can be downloaded using Express without the device being connected, I do it all the time. Whether you were using MapUpdater in 2013 I don't know, but IIRC that required the device to be connected.
greybeard-jsy
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by greybeard-jsy »

I've also just had a call with UK Garmin technical support.

The issue I wanted help with was that I've got a Garmin 590 LM with City Navigator Europe NTU map and up until 2 weeks ago I've been able to download maps using Garmin Express to a) my Garmin device and b) my PC.

I recently downloaded the latest City Navigator Europe NTU map 2021.1 to my Zumo 590 OK, and also downloaded it to my PC. As expected, Basecamp (4.7.0) showed the map (on the PC) to be locked, but the online unlock wizard was no longer available. I upgraded to Basecamp 4.7.2 which also showed the map as locked, but with no unlock option available!

My call today with tech support confirmed that you can no longer activate / unlock maps you install to a PC for use by Basecamp. You have to connect your device to the PC and get Basecamp to use the map on your device - this is clearly a lot slower.

I have got the City Navigator North America NT 2017.20 map installed on my Zumo - this map I haven't ever been able to download to my PC, I have always had to have the device connected. I haven't tried re-downloading the North America map but I know that it had an expiry date for download. I can still use it on the Zumo though, and plan trips on it using Basecamp when the device is connected.

I would have thought that if your Zumo is connected to your PC you should be able to get Basecamp to use the maps installed on your device even if - like your North America map - you cannot re-download it to your device. Have you tried going back to the previous version of Basecamp that worked - if I understood correctly, you had just upgraded it?

I've also worked with IT for much of my working life, and I agree that Garmin's implementation of its licensing for its PC based software like Basecamp is 'quirky' (polite version) to say the least. It's certainly not intuitive!!
greybeard-jsy
Great Britain

Post by greybeard-jsy »

sussamb wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:55 am 1 is correct, assuming you bought a download from Garmin. However you can simply copy the map files to a removable drive, either virtual or physical, and BC will read the files from there, so no need to connect your device.
I didn't know that, I will try it out.

Thanks
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Just note the maps need to be in a folder named Garmin in the root of the drive.
greybeard-jsy
Great Britain

Post by greybeard-jsy »

sussamb wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:20 pm Just note the maps need to be in a folder named Garmin in the root of the drive.
Tried that - copied all the map files from the Zumo 590 to a SD card... I now get a message "An error occurred when attempting to use the City Navigator Europe NTU 2021.1 Map Product" when I start Basecamp - similar to the error in the original post above.

Uninstalled and re-installed Basecamp 472 - same result. Any ideas?
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

I think I'd trying updating my North America map before anything else. The version you list was 10 updates ago. Can you get the latest, 2021.1?
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

[mention]greybeard-jsy[/mention]

Is the map file in a folder named Garmin on the card? If so it should work. If it doesn't and given your previous issues it would seem you may have a problem with BaseCamp on your PC. I suggest you try an uninstall then reinstall, shutting down your PC between the two.
greybeard-jsy
Great Britain

Post by greybeard-jsy »

@sussamb

I tried putting the maps in a folder on the SD card called Garmin - still got an error. I uninstalled and reinstalled Basecamp with a shutdown in between, but still get an error.

I then tried copying all the files from the Zumo onto an SD card. Basecamp loaded with no errors and I could 'see' the maps listed correctly on the SD card (in a Maps subfolder) with Basecamp thinking that the Zumo device was connected, but if I try to access the maps then I get the same error as before.

I have also copied the maps into the Garmin subfolder on the SD card, and in Basecamp I then 'see' two versions of the maps, but still get the same error if I try to access it.

I might try reversing back to Basecamp 4.7.0 and see if that helps. [update: it doesn't]
mzeist
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 31 times
Netherlands

Post by mzeist »

take a look at this, mayby there is some help there.

https://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html
Groet, Marcel.
ST1300 - Etrex Vista, 60CS, Co300, SPIII, SP2610, Nuvi760, Zumo660, Or650, Nuvi3590, Zumo590/5, Zumo XT