Base Camp and Google Earth - again

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
khunpaul
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Base Camp and Google Earth - again

Post by khunpaul »

Some 5 years ago when first encountering the many time repeated issue about BaseCamp not opening GE, I obviously stuck to BC 4.6.2 but also stored some instructions to do the following:

Open a command prompt with administrator privileges. Under Vista, click on the Windows button, then "All Programs", "Accessories", right-click "Command Prompt" and pick "Run as Administrator". It should work similarly in XP.

In the command prompt type the following (assuming Google Earth 5 is installed at c:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth)

"c:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServer

and hit Enter.

I have now installed BC 4.6.2 on a new Windows 10 machine and it works fine. However it would not open GE automatically so I followed these instructions again.

Unfortunately it has made things worse. GE does now open but is completely blurred. Is there any way of reversing that "regserver" instruction above in case that was the cause?
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Base Camp and Google Earth - again

Post by sussamb »

The full instruction is here

From the Command Prompt, and signed in as an Administrator, type the following as applicable and press ENTER:
(Make sure you are in the C:\ root directory)
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Earth Pro\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServer (works with Google Earth Pro in Win 7...10)
"C:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth Pro\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServer (Google Earth Pro in XP)
"C:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServer (Google Earth in XP)
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Earth\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServer (Google Earth non-Pro on Win 7, 8.x and 10)
Note for those not used to using the command line in Windows, the double quotes in all of the examples are critical. They MUST be there and in the indicated places or you'll get an error that the directory name is invalid. It won't harm anything; it simply won't work.
Last edited by sussamb on Fri May 29, 2020 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
khunpaul
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by khunpaul »

Thank you so much as always.
Have I done any harm by doing it wrong? If so is there any remedy? Eg “unregserver”
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

You can't undo it but it shouldn't have done any harm.
paynes1
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by paynes1 »

I had this problem ages ago when it first raised it's head, but following the advice from sussamb it has been working perfectly. However, although it worked fine this morning, Basecamp is now back to not seeing Google Earth again.
I have tried the cmd prompt administrator as before but no change. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Google Earth and still using the older version of Basecamp.

Any suggestions please?

Many Thanks

Just noticed that when I reinstalled Google Earth Pro it was installed in the Programme files folder not the x36? Copied it to the x36 but still no joy in either Basecamp or mapsource.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Afraid what has happened without any warning GE have forced an update upon us, and I can't get the new one to work either. I've simply uninstalled it and installed an older version that isn't set to update automatically. BaseCamp and GE now work again :)
paynes1
Great Britain

Post by paynes1 »

Thanks for answering quickly as usual.

Can you give me a steer towards where I get an old version please?

Still working on the desktop computer so far ......
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

From here https://support.google.com/earth/answer/168344?hl=en

Select the Direct Installer, as I just use it for viewing BaseCamp data I chose 7.1.8.3036 (32-bit), as I was pretty sure that didn't have an auto update :D
paynes1
Great Britain

Post by paynes1 »

sussamb

Thanks again!

Working again, I find the ability to see routes on GE extremely useful especially when planning Europe trips. Hope GE don't do another update and move the goalposts again:(

Steve P
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

sussamb wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:07 am From here https://support.google.com/earth/answer/168344?hl=en

Select the Direct Installer, as I just use it for viewing BaseCamp data I chose 7.1.8.3036 (32-bit), as I was pretty sure that didn't have an auto update :D
Something for me to do tonight I think :)