Basecamp a bit clunky

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Basecamp a bit clunky

Post by Stu »

Is it just me or is basecamp a bit clunky?

IE its not as smooth and as detailed as google maps?

Unless I know where I am going I find it hard to plan routes on basecamp and also finding locations is hit and miss!

Any tips that will help? or is it just a case of getting on with it!
kernowing
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 55 times
Great Britain

Re: Basecamp a bit clunky

Post by kernowing »

@ Stu, I tend to run BC with G Maps operating at the same time. I find G maps is useful for checking distances between waypoints i:e fuel stops accommodation etc, whereas BC gives time between way/shaping points in route properties. I'm currently planning a route from South to North Spain on a bike with a smaller fuel range than I'm used to on my Goldwing, so distance between fuel stops could be critical!
2007 GL1800 Goldwing
2018 Triumph Speedmaster 1200 (now sold)
Zumo 660LM
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

I have been exploring the use of other software but I still have to import them to basecamp to check the route
Iris
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times
United States of America

Basecamp a bit clunky

Post by Iris »

I also do what was mentioned above:
Use BC and Google Earth or Maps at the same time.
Two computer screens helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

Iris wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:05 pm Use BC and Google Earth or Maps at the same time.
I use Basecamp 4.6 so that I can still view a waypoint from Basecamp to Google Earth as Garmin "kindly" removed that in later versions of BC :cry:

So a later version of BC might not be as free flowing as an older version, as software developers never get rid of bugs, they just make better ones :?
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Me too. I'll stick with 4.6.2 until they restore the GE link
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

I use google maps regularly to check for dirt roads (BC sux at this) and to get a street level view of a meetup or destination but use BC for mapping. I find it smooth as butter to use. I very rarely use google earth.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Anyone tried ITN converter? http://www.benichou-software.com/index. ... =3&lang=en

I used it when I had a tom tom

I found the maps smoother than basecamp and adding waypoints to for the route just makes them shaping points but you still have to import it to basecamp to check which isn't a problem
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Basecamp isn't ideal, but neither is Google maps. When zoomed in, position of roads can vary quite a lot from each other. So I stick with Basecamp and use StreetView and satellite images to check on precise locations, eg for hotels and stop- over points.

I find both maps useless for showing much about the route itself, so. I convert my route to a track. I have MemoryMap software on which I use Ordnance Survey maps of 1:1,000,00, and 1:250,000, (and larger maps for walking / cycling). MemoryMaps will import the gpx track and display it on a much more readable OS map. 1:250,000 is the type of map that you get in those AA route planner map books for the car. I find that really useful.

Searching - it took me a long time to work out that the search function operates on the area of map that is displayed on the screen. So if you are zoomed out a long way, a search will take a very long time. Zoom in on a smaller area and the results pop up relatively quickly.

Basecamp is also much slower if you have the detail level set to its highest. I find medium detail acceptable, and set it higher if I want additional information and roads
Last edited by jfheath on Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
CollingsBob
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 21 times
Canada

Post by CollingsBob »

Stu wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:29 pm Anyone tried ITN converter? http://www.benichou-software.com/index. ... =3&lang=en

I used it when I had a tom tom

I found the maps smoother than basecamp and adding waypoints to for the route just makes them shaping points but you still have to import it to basecamp to check which isn't a problem
Can ITN converter be used to convert a route created in Garmin Basecamp to Google maps?... I installed it but it wont import a .gdb file..
Certified JB Welder