New PC install

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
patrickg450
United States of America

New PC install

Post by patrickg450 »

Man, I feel foolish here asking.......I just got a new WIN 10 computer and I have been relearning everything.

I opened up BC to draw a track/route based on feedback from another post. The detail on my maps was terrible. There was none outside of major highways and interstates. I have a lifetime maps purchase that came with my 595. So I fumbled with the settings for a bit, no luck. Then I went ahead and hooked up the 594 to my PC.....

BAM!!!! My maps showed up. Do I have to have the unit hooked up in order to see my maps subscription in BC?
Iris
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times
United States of America

Re: New PC install

Post by Iris »

Are you sure you updated the maps to the computer as well as the gps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

no I am not.....

My old PC had both BC and Mapsource, I like the tracks and I am kinda stuck in my ways on the old stuff since I have been doing it so long. I used BC on the old one about 10 to 20% of the time, but I am guessing there are a few things I forgot how to do. I did go to MyGarimin on the new PC but I dont remembering it updating the maps.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

You need to run Express then and install the maps to your PC.
patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

I read that somewhere........and did not do it. :oops:

Thanks!!!!
patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

OK,I did not have success......I did the Garmin Express and did update my maps. But when I unplug my 595 I lose all my maps. What am I doing wrong?
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I assume the map is on your satnav ok ?

In basecamp, note the name of the currently installed map.

Find out which folder that is in. Not the shortcut to it. Find the actual folder. Make a note of the full pathname.

The use express to install it just to the Pc, and specify that same folder.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Well Express will install the maps to the correct folder. You did select to install the map to the PC in Express? Its under installation options. Did you then select that Map in the Map menu in BaseCamp? If you did check in the View menu that you haven't selected Basic map only.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

sussamb wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:48 am Well Express will install the maps to the correct folder.
Yes, I thought so too - but last time I did an installation, it didn't work properly - it installed it in its default place and put a shortcut to it in another place. I never had this issue before, but what the installed files look like was different too. I had to change the installation to point to C:\Program Data\Garmin\Maps (mine is a Windows 10 PC). This was not what Express defaulted to.

Something like that. But after the first install, Basecamp didn't find the maps - that is why I mentioned it.

I intend to repeat the exercise, see if I can pin down the issue (or establish whether it was just a one-off glitch due to me doing something wrong, but I haven't been able to do that as yet.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Try this:

Leave the device disconnected from the computer. Open Garmin Express. Be patient, it's generally slow. A box opens, at the top it says your device is not connected- leave it disconnected. The next part down, there should be a 'Map Options' link. Click it. Another box opens, all the way at the bottom do you see 'Install To Computer' ? We're going to step away for just a moment.......

Now, click the 4-pane Windows Start icon thing on your computer, extreme bottom left. Go to Settings/System/Power and Sleep. Assuming your computer is plugged in, at the 2 blocks of "when plugged in", set these to NEVER. This will keep your computer and screen turned on forever- don't want it shutting off while updating Garmin! When done you can always go back and reset these to whatever you want.

Close settings, go back to Garmin Express. Map Options section should say "blahblahblah 2020.3. At the bottom click "Install To Computer". May take a while. I usually do it when I go to work or bed. You may get a computer thing asking if you want to allow Garmin to change a program. Click yes.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A