Rookie questions

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
Iris
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times
United States of America

Rookie questions

Post by Iris »

I do not allow my gps to recalculate. I NEVER do.
I can find the magenta line all by myself and have found that if the route recalculates, it just frustrates me.

You can skip the next waypoint on the 590. Press the three lines on the bottom right of the of the gps. There is a skip button there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Rookie questions

Post by jfheath »

Iris wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:32 pm I do not allow my gps to recalculate. I NEVER do.
I can find the magenta line all by myself and have found that if the route recalculates, it just frustrates me.
And that is a good technique, but the point I was making was that the 590 and the 595 both seem to recalculate a route according to historic traffic trends and time of day regardless of the auto recalculate setting. Ive observed it a few times, but have never been able to pin down exactly when it happens.
Iris wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:32 pm You can skip the next waypoint on the 590. Press the three lines on the bottom right of the of the gps. There is a skip button there.
Yes, thanks, i know that. I referred to it in the last reply. But it never displays the question 'do you want to skip' that you mentioned on your 595. I know the skip button was added to the 590 after it was first brought out in one of the earlier software upgrades. Maybe they designed it differently from the outset on the 595.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
CollingsBob
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 21 times
Canada

Post by CollingsBob »

I have the route laid out, day by day..numbered sequentially and named. One of the people who uses basecamp locally told me to put a waypoint at every place where I turn from one road or highway to another..seems a tad excessive to me.Whats th3 opinion of the wise ones here?
Certified JB Welder
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I put in the places that are 'must visits' on the route. Start, Finish and stop off points. I make these Via Points - but actually place them on the route beyond the intended stop, and another shaping point at the actual stop point. The start point, I always put a couple of miles away from the actual start, along the road I intend to travel along. That allows me to (say) call in to fill up with petrol after setting off and still have the satnav get me onto the right road.

Then I use the rubber band tool to add in as many route points as it takes to keep me on the road that I want - it usually needs a couple to be placed on the desired road - one near the start (and yes - after the turn onto it) and one much further along. I make these Shaping Points (don't announce)

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
CollingsBob
Canada

Post by CollingsBob »

I created the routes using the rubber band tool, which I then manually tweaked. For a couple of routes, for example Durness to John O’Groats very little manual tweaking was required. Do I need to add waypoints anywhere?
Certified JB Welder
Breezly
Subscriber
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by Breezly »

CollingsBob wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:17 pm I have the route laid out, day by day..numbered sequentially and named. One of the people who uses basecamp locally told me to put a waypoint at every place where I turn from one road or highway to another..seems a tad excessive to me.Whats th3 opinion of the wise ones here?
No - just no!
Learn Garmin Basecamp with New England Riders Tutorial:
https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

CollingsBob wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:17 pm I have the route laid out, day by day..numbered sequentially and named. One of the people who uses basecamp locally told me to put a waypoint at every place where I turn from one road or highway to another..seems a tad excessive to me.Whats th3 opinion of the wise ones here?
Doing that nearly killed me one time! I now put my points a few hundred yards past the turn. The device gets a little confused when it's trying to announce an arrival at a point and telling you to turn at the same time.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Iris
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times
United States of America

Rookie questions

Post by Iris »

If it’s just a shaping point, then I make sure it’s changed to not announce.
Then the gps will just tell me to turn but it won’t tell me that it is arriving at a destination.

In BaseCamp, I place that shaping point with the insert tool. Here’s how:
I highlight the route (which goes from my start to my final day’s destination) while the route is highlighted, I click on the “Insert” tool, and then I insert shaping points to make the route go to the roads I want to travel on.
If I want to, I add waypoints (maybe only a lunch spot, or gas).

At the end of it all, I double click the route to open a menu. It has a list of all shaping points and waypoints. I click on all the shaping points and make them unannounced.
I keep my lunch or gas as announce.

This way when I am using my gps, I can be notified when the eta is to my final destination or my lunch spot.

On the bottom right of the gps, on my 590, I am able to select what I want to show as far as my next arrival. It could be my final destination or my next waypoint (lunch, gas, museum, whatever). It can tell me the eta in time or mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Iris wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:05 pm If it’s just a shaping point, then I make sure it’s changed to not announce.
Then the gps will just tell me to turn but it won’t tell me that it is arriving at a destination.

In BaseCamp, I place that shaping point with the insert tool. Here’s how:
I highlight the route (which goes from my start to my final day’s destination) while the route is highlighted, I click on the “Insert” tool, and then I insert shaping points to make the route go to the roads I want to travel on.
If I want to, I add waypoints (maybe only a lunch spot, or gas).

At the end of it all, I double click the route to open a menu. It has a list of all shaping points and waypoints. I click on all the shaping points and make them unannounced.
I keep my lunch or gas as announce.
Yes - that makes perfect sense - the terminology doesn't matter as long as you know what you mean. But it can be a tad confusing to read at first, because I use the terms Via Point, Shaping Point and Waypoint differently from the way that you used them. But once I had read your post again, what you do is spot on. And it is very important to be aware of which points will announce and which ones wont and change the point to suit your needs - just as you do.

I posted some definitions (gleaned from Garmin Support Pages) in my previous post - but in brief:
  • Via Points announce.
  • Shaping Points do not announce.
  • Waypoints are simply locations that are stored in the database. When placed on a route, they become silent or announcing (ie Shaping or Via).
The insert tool will create either a Via Point or a Shaping Point - depending on where it is dropped.

The reason that this is important is that Via Points and Shaping Points behave very differently (apart from announcing) in certain situations in the Zumos with the Trip Planner App. (eg 590 and 390 series).

But it doesn't help when Garmin seems to label things inconsistently - eg in Basecamp, the table of points on the selected route is headed 'Via Points' which is a throwback to the terminology used in Mapsource before the distinction between Via and Shaping points was introduced.

CollingsBob
Canada

Post by CollingsBob »

Thankyou...very well written, concise, understandable help.
If your ever near me..please stop in for a libation
Certified JB Welder