Way Points and Via Points

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
titter
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Way Points and Via Points

Post by titter »

I've noticed that when I make a route in basecamp and send it to my Zumo, many of the via points that I've made alert on arrival despite being selected not to do so in basecamp. The more via points I've used the more announcements I get on my Zumo when travelling the route to the point when it can drive me mad!!! :D
I've discovered that if I make a route, convert it to a track then back into a route I only get only two points, basically the start and finish.
Will the Sat Nav follow this route ok? I've sent the routes to my device and then looked at them again in basecamp and they seem to be ok
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Way Points and Via Points

Post by sussamb »

Which Zumo? Older devices can't use shaping points from BC so convert them to viapoints. Newer devices should accept shaping points.

While your Zumo may follow that track/route should you deviate and allow the device to recalculate I suspect it'll devise its own route.
titter
Great Britain

Post by titter »

its a Zumo 550, Garmin say it doesn't work with basecamp but I've never had a problem making a route except for all the announcements.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Well that's why you don't get shaping points, your device won't accept them from BC but treats them as viapoints, so they'll be announced.
titter
Great Britain

Post by titter »

So if I make a route, convert it to a track then back into a route with only two points the start and finish do you think the Sat Nav will follow the route as its on the device or will it re-route it the most direct way. Guess it'll be trial and error, I'll need to make some routes and try them.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

I suspect it will provided you stick to the route, once you deviate I suspect not, but I don't have a 550 to try
Breezly
Subscriber
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by Breezly »

titter wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:43 pm So if I make a route, convert it to a track then back into a route with only two points the start and finish do you think the Sat Nav will follow the route as its on the device or will it re-route it the most direct way. Guess it'll be trial and error, I'll need to make some routes and try them.
There is another way to make via points that will not announce on the Z550. In Basecamp if you shape the route using the Insert Tool (pencil icon) by clicking and dragging the route, and place the resulting via points PRECISELY in an intersection, the resulting via points will not announce on the Z550. This is actually true for any via points placed in an intersection or along a road without street addresses.
Learn Garmin Basecamp with New England Riders Tutorial:
https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Breezly wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:52 am There is another way to make via points that will not announce on the Z550. In Basecamp if you shape the route using the Insert Tool (pencil icon) by clicking and dragging the route, and place the resulting via points PRECISELY in an intersection, the resulting via points will not announce on the Z550. This is actually true for any via points placed in an intersection or along a road without street addresses.
Ooh, I HATE doing that! I've found that placing points exactly on an intersection confuses me and the device because it wants to pass the point BEFORE giving me the turn instruction causing me to miss turns and on one occasion, nearly run right through a T intersection. I now
place points either well before or about a 1/2 mile after the intersection to avoid dying. Plus, in North Carolina's mountains, Base Camp is horrible at recognizing the difference between a bridge and an intersection. Much time can be spent going in circles b/c Base Camp wants to be under the underpass or on top of the overpass, neither of which I'm on.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

rbentnail wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:08 pm Much time can be spent going in circles b/c Base Camp wants to be under the underpass or on top of the overpass, neither of which I'm on.
You must be on one surely?
Breezly
Subscriber
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by Breezly »

I have never experienced what you describe, but I generally would not place the via point at an intersection where I was turning. I would place the via point either at the preceding intersection or the succeeding intersection. Bridges and overpasses are not intersections so I wouldn't place a via point there anyways.
Learn Garmin Basecamp with New England Riders Tutorial:
https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/