Problem with Basecamp when uploading the route onto GPS

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
Djos
Germany

Problem with Basecamp when uploading the route onto GPS

Post by Djos »

Hi,
when I use Basecamp (I use Trip Planner) and upload the route to Navigator 5 or 6 I suddenly see hundreds of points (see pics)
This happens only when I use shaping point (dragging the shaping point on another road to change the way)
And it happens not to all Navigator devices. If I use waypoints it works fine.
Any idea what might be the problem here?
Attachments
Garmin fault 1.jpg
Garmin fault 1.jpg (110.49 KiB) Viewed 9545 times
Garmin fault 2.jpg
Garmin fault 2.jpg (129.82 KiB) Viewed 9545 times
advnzer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times
New Zealand

Re: Problem with Basecamp when uploading the route onto GPS

Post by advnzer »

only thing i can sugget is try a route(instead of a trip) and see if it is the same
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Problem with Basecamp when uploading the route onto GPS

Post by jfheath »

Sorry its a year ago now, but worth commenting for anyone else that pops up with a similar issue.

The first diagram looks as though it contains hundreds of individual points that might (for example) make up a tracklog or a route that has been converted to a track, or a route that has been converted FROM a track. Also I wonder if the route was imported from some other program first.

The way that you describe the fault is a little ambiguous to me. This isn't a comment to say that you have done something wrong - it comes about because Garmin seem to have changed the way in which their terms are used - and users of other satnavs continue to use the same terms in a way which is inconsistent.

A waypoint is simply any point that is stored on a database for future use. Basecamp has thousands of them - the names of town, banks, shops, hotels etc etc. A waypoint has the capacity to store other information such as a name, a full postal address, phone number. Pick up the flag icon in Basecamp and drop it onto the map, and then edit it. A dialog box will pop up showing exactly what information it can store along with the location of the point itself. By putting a waypoint flag onto the map, you are adding to the waypoint database is Basecamp.

In Basecamp, a route consists of 4 different types of routing points. A Start Point, an End Point, a number of optional Via Points, a number of optional Shaping Points. (There is actually a limit to the latter two, but I won't dwell on that now). But there is nothing in a route that is helpfully called a 'WayPoint'.

Putting a 'flag' icon from the menu into a route, will always add the point to the Waypoint database.
Dragging a shaping point (using the rubber band tool) onto the map will sometimes just create a route point without it being stored in the Waypoint database. However, sometimes, when you drop a shaping point onto the map, it might be close to one of the thousands of pre-defined Waypoints. If it is, then the new point will jump to that Waypoint rather than to the point where you intended to drop it. Often when the map is zoomed out, this jump will not be noticed, but if you zoom in, you will see that the point is not precisely in the place that you intended.

So what ? Well, by default, A Waypoint dropped into a route will usually appears in the route as a Via Point - which the satnav will insist on visiting, and which will appear in the list of destinations when you select the route on the satnav and Press 'Go'.

By default, point dropped onto the map with the rubber band tool, will become a Shaping Point. Unless it is dropped near to an existing Waypoint, in which case it becomes a Via Point. So Shaping Points and Via Points can be Waypoints - that I - the point exists in the Waypoint database.

All of these points can be changed from Shaping to Via, and back again. This can be done when in Basecamp and when loaded into the Zumo.

So when I see a description of a fault like the one you describe - it doesn't give me enough information. Any point can be a waypoint - but what I need to know is whether it is a Shaping Point or a Via Point. And to know whether it is actually a Shaping Point, or one that the author thinks is a shaping point because it was put there with the shaping point tool.

Usually on the Zumo satnavs, Via Points will show up as flags.

Flags are what you seem to have - but there is a limit to the number of Via points. Any more than 31 and the route may be split into 2 or more separate routes, each with 29 or 30 Via points. You seem to have hundreds of flags - which suggests that something else is going on here, but I cannot work out what from what you have described.

If you are still looking in to this thread and haven't yet sorted it, I'd be happy to help work out what is happening.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.