How to continue a route

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
Controlu
Has liked: 2 times
United States of America

How to continue a route

Post by Controlu »

I was planning a route. I had the rubber band thing going on from one point to the next when I changed to the hand to move the map. The rubber band vanished and I can't get it back to continue the planning. How do I continue the route, or add to the end of a route without having to plan a new route? I have got to say, basecamp is right at the top of my list of the most user unfriendly programs I have ever tried to use.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 354 times
Great Britain

Re: How to continue a route

Post by sussamb »

You just need to get used to it. To continue a route select the Insert tool then hover over the last point until it turns into a black circle, now click and you're away ...

You may find this tutorial useful ... http://www.newenglandriders.org/GPS/Learn_BaseCamp.htm
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Controlu wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:07 pm I was planning a route. I had the rubber band thing going on from one point to the next when I changed to the hand to move the map. The rubber band vanished and I can't get it back to continue the planning. How do I continue the route, or add to the end of a route without having to plan a new route? I have got to say, basecamp is right at the top of my list of the most user unfriendly programs I have ever tried to use.
I've said for a long time now, Do not create a route! Let me explain:

I used to deal with the same as you by trying to create a Base Camp route point by point. Any little interruption and poof! it's gone and I'd have to start over. Very frustrating indeed. Then I went through the tutorial linked above and all of a sudden something made sense- DO NOT CREATE A ROUTE! Try this: pick your start, pick your destination and let Base Camp determine the route. Then use the editing tools (move, erase and insert) to modify your route to be what you want it to be. By doing it this way you'll never lose any work you've done and you can stop & come back later any time, your work will always be there.

These things I speak of and much,much more (especially the file naming & structure) are thoroughly explained in the newenglandriders Base Camp tutorial. I highly recommend it as it's THE one that made it make sense to me. I used a second monitor so I could read and practice at the same time, about 4 hrs investment made all the difference! I now feel like I can do anything I need to with Base Camp.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Steve W
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times
Canada

Post by Steve W »

rbentnail wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:10 pm
I've said for a long time now, Do not create a route! Let me explain:
Following this procedure will fix almost all of the issues people have with BaseCamp route creation. It's the way Garmin apps have always worked best dating back to the original MapSource. The point to point method was created by the online mapping sites long after and doesn't work well at all IMNSHO. :)
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Agreed, it's fine for creating point to point routes in direct mode, I use that a lot to create walking routes, but for on road routing start and end points then let Mapsource/BaseCamp create the route based on the selected map, then adjust as needed.
advnzer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times
New Zealand

Post by advnzer »

I agree too because when you start a route it asks for a start and finsin point.The start and finish can be edited too but you have to have a beginning and an end to begin with.
The beginning and the end can be waypoints
Controlu
Has liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by Controlu »

The NewEnglandRiders basecamp tutorial was a godsend. That showed me the light so I could do some planning. Garmin has their head in dark places when it came to intuitive design of basecamp. Gawd awful at best.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

While some struggle I found it pretty good even when I started. Now I've used it for years I wouldn't want anything else :)