Base camp as default .gpx app and others

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
advnzer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times
New Zealand

Re: Base camp as default .gpx app and others

Post by advnzer »

rbentnail wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:45 pm
advnzer wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:17 am maybe you could try ticking the box for do not show this window for gpx files and then see if you let windows do its own thing you could see if you could associate a gpx file with basecamp.?
^^ This ^^. I ticked the box to see what happens. Right click/open with -> immediately went to "search the web" mode without asking. Closed that tab & right click/open with again. This time I'm given a choice of what app to use and can now select Base Camp although it does nothing more than what I stated I did manually in post #3: it opens Base amp, imports the file and opens it. Simpler, with fewer keystrokes, but really no difference from what I already did.

Also, gpx files still do not show up i my list of files to choose Base Camp as a default app.

Thanks for the help everyone!
When i right click on a gpx file /open with i get an immediate choice of basecamp OR notepad ..Notepad can edit gpx files .What are you wanting to do with a gpx file?Please describe to me the process you use to get a list of files and associated aps....i can see if my set up is any different to yours
If you double click a gpx file does basecamp immediately open it?

edit,my default app for a gpx file is notepad,but if i try to change that the only other choice is basecamp.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

advnzer wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:15 am When i right click on a gpx file /open with i get an immediate choice of basecamp OR notepad ..Notepad can edit gpx files .What are you wanting to do with a gpx file?
What I was wanting to do was to shortcut the need to: 1) open Base Camp and 2) import the file to view it. Now, with the box described earlier unticked, I can now do the same thing by right click/pick Base Camp, just fewer keystrokes. Sometimes someone sends me a route in gpx format or someone posts here something I might be interested in. I want to see it.
advnzer wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:15 am Please describe to me the process you use to get a list of files and associated aps....i can see if my set up is any different to yours
I'm assuming you're talking about where you manually select the default app for each file type. On my Win10 laptop: Start, Settings, Apps, Default Apps, (scroll down) Choose Default Apps by File Type.
advnzer wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:15 am If you double click a gpx file does basecamp immediately open it?
No, double clicking does not open the file for me. Double clicking for me brings up the same menu as right clicking.
advnzer wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:15 am edit,my default app for a gpx file is notepad,but if i try to change that the only other choice is basecamp.
I'm guessing but maybe that's the only choices on your computer that can "do" gpx files.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

sussamb wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:49 pm I'm not sure what else you were expecting. It's no different to if you click on a word file. Word opens, loads the file and opens it.

Were you hoping for something different?

Personally I'd still delete File Association Helper, as it doesn't seem to help at all!
I guess I was expecting it to not be so cumbersome. See, when I click on a word file or a pdf file, I don't see on the screen all the boot up of the app, the progress bar of file opening, etc. The file simply opens and that's that. But using Base Camp by right click, select what I see is no different than if I manually open Base Camp and import the file myself.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

I don't have to right click. Just like a word or pdf file I just double click it and it opens.
advnzer
New Zealand

Post by advnzer »

i changed my default app for gpx to basecamp.If i double click a gpx file it goes through the same slow process as right click and open with... :?
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Speed depends on number of maps installed to BaseCamp, speed of computer etc
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

advnzer wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:41 am i changed my default app for gpx to basecamp.If i double click a gpx file it goes through the same slow process as right click and open with... :?
Exactly, it's not just you :? . I think now that I know the differences it's really no different so I'll do whatever the spirit strikes me to do at the time. Which is probably what I've done all along. Since there's really no difference. I hope we helped the OP tho, he kinda faded out.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
advnzer
New Zealand

Post by advnzer »

rbentnail wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:49 pm
advnzer wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:41 am i changed my default app for gpx to basecamp.If i double click a gpx file it goes through the same slow process as right click and open with... :?
Exactly, it's not just you :? . I think now that I know the differences it's really no different so I'll do whatever the spirit strikes me to do at the time. Which is probably what I've done all along. Since there's really no difference. I hope we helped the OP tho, he kinda faded out.
i think the tardiness is down to basecamp itself and the way it processes gpx files.Other "apps" liek adobe acrobat ,or word are lightning quick in comparison.At one time i used to have a little gpx viewer .perhaps that is the answer,using basecamp to just view a gpx is maybe akin to using a sledge hammer to crack a walnut