It might be me

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
JimKat2
Has liked: 3 times
Great Britain

It might be me

Post by JimKat2 »

I have just started to try and get to grips with BC

I successfully installed the latest map into my 346 using GE, but as the first install crashed out I tried again and I think I did not select update

So I have been trying to unlock the map online but it is driving me nuts

I can get the serial number
I can get the Product Key
I can get the Unit ID

But I cannot add the unit ID as there appears a "No Entry" sign and the data entry field is locked!

This my screen for Basecamp
Basecamp #1.jpg
Basecamp #1.jpg (72.61 KiB) Viewed 4428 times
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: It might be me

Post by sussamb »

I'm not sure what you're problem is. Is it the not map working on your device or in BaseCamp?

If it's in BaseCamp run Express again and select Install to computer only.
JimKat2
Great Britain

Post by JimKat2 »

OK

So I tried with BC and felt I was banging my head against a brick wall..

The screen shot above showed the map to be something "Stick Man" would be happy with.
Basecamp#2.jpg
Basecamp#2.jpg (112.24 KiB) Viewed 4289 times

Item 1 is a comms error to the Zumo.

Item 2 suggests that the roads around Cromer are in the Tidal Zone (Let's not get started on that subject or I'll kick off the "Crab Wars" again :lol: :lol: )

So, being a slow day at work, like really slow... I uninstalled all the Garmin s/w from my creaky old laptop and from being logged in on the Garmin website and having Zumo connected I re-installed BC.

Now where is the" tooting trumpet" emoji when you need it!

BC has the up to date map, unlocked. Good enough to make sense although a lot of the data around my town that I know, is waaaay out of date.

So being as it was still a slow day at work. I then started to build up some way points and try out a couple of routes that I ride regularly. Having remembered the tutorial from here and blundered my way around settings etc. I can now create a pretty acceptable route in not too long a time.

I then transferred them to the Zumo\Memory Card\User Data and got the Green tick.

So this is where the "Deflating Balloon" emoji is required.

Exit BC and eject the Zumo from creaky old laptop and the start up Zumo.

Err. Wheres my way points and routes?

Hmmm...

Right. Slow day at work is finished. Time to head off for "Dunna" and a pint of "Heavy"

Still. I'm making progress :D :D
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Not sure. Why not send them to your device instead of the card? Either way do you need to import data into your device or does the import happen automatically? If automatically you may need to give it some time to import the data.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

No worries, sending data to the card is the only way I've done it for 10+ years. I NEVER put data on the device. But, depending on the device you have, it may be important how you put the data there. I discovered a problem when my 595 was new- it doesn't like to have data moved to the card using the transfer command. I simply drag and drop the data to the User Data memory card. You then have to find on your device the Import command. It's usually under Tools or something similar. Pick Import, check the boxes of what to Import and Go/Save.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
JimKat2
Great Britain

Post by JimKat2 »

Thanks for the replies folks. :D :D

Ok, so it's gradually coming together.

Just a couple of things I haven't got pinned down.

Probably the first is the transfer to the 346 from BC.

If I use "Send To Device" and select "Zumo 346" (that is the device memory) then my new route is detected, and the Zumo User Interface asks me to import the new route. So far so good.

If I go through the above and send it to the memory card, then it is not recognized at all.

I have been through the 346 UI looking for anything that refers to the memory card. So far not found anything.

So if any 346 owners out there know the way to access the memory card from the Zumo UI.....
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Do you have anything on the card that your device recognises? If not check it's formatted as FAT32
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

JimKat2 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:43 am

Thanks for the replies folks. :D :D

Ok, so it's gradually coming together.

Just a couple of things I haven't got pinned down.

Probably the first is the transfer to the 346 from BC.

If I use "Send To Device" and select "Zumo 346" (that is the device memory) then my new route is detected, and the Zumo User Interface asks me to import the new route. So far so good.

If I go through the above and send it to the memory card, then it is not recognized at all.

I have been through the 346 UI looking for anything that refers to the memory card. So far not found anything.

So if any 346 owners out there know the way to access the memory card from the Zumo UI.....
Step by step, one at a time.

1) When you plug your zumo into your computer and open Base Camp, on the left, are you seeing your device and your memory card listed separately? I've attached a picture below showing mine, I would expect yours to be similar.

sussamb brings up a good point about formatting but we'll get to that. In newer zumo models card formatting on a computer is not required, the zumo does it when you insert the card. Plus, I found out that FAT32 formatting is kind of old hat, my relatively new laptop doesn't have that option. So:

2) What other info do you have on the card? Is it anything that can't be easily replaced if a new card is purchased and tried? I'm NOT saying run out and do this yet, just curious.
Attachments
User Memory.JPG
User Memory.JPG (14.93 KiB) Viewed 4243 times
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
JimKat2
Great Britain

Post by JimKat2 »

Right I have some screenshots of my Zumo connecting to BC

As it could do nothing disastrous to my routes waypoints, I opted to re-format the card with FAT32 file format

This first one always comes up
Basecamp4.jpg
Basecamp4.jpg (103.95 KiB) Viewed 4235 times

Followed by this one......

Basecamp5.jpg
Basecamp5.jpg (103.21 KiB) Viewed 4235 times

So clear the alarms and we have this screen....
Basecamp6.jpg
Basecamp6.jpg (99.31 KiB) Viewed 4235 times

Zumo is there with Internal storage and Memory card with Folder <USER DATA> configured.

Sent a route to the memory card <USER DATA> and got the Green Tick on the folder

However when I re-start Zumo it still does not recognise that there is something on the card.

I'll see if I can find a different card just in case the card is at fault.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Can you check the card. If data has been sent there should be a folder named Garmin with a .gpx file inside it. Is there?