First question

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
kernowing
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 55 times
Great Britain

Re: First question

Post by kernowing »

advnzer wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:10 pm
sussamb wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:46 pm First ensure the route is selected so it's highlighted. Then Alt + click and hold, then drag while holding down. Release when the point is where you want it. If you hover the point, but still hold down, you should see the route recalculate to what it would be if you let go.
i beleive this is the same as inserting a point.I have never had success with this .I belive its because i have a laptop and cant(or dont know how) to do this on a touchpad mouse
I cheat--I use a wireless mouse with my laptop :D
2007 GL1800 Goldwing
2018 Triumph Speedmaster 1200 (now sold)
Zumo 660LM
JD Hog
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by JD Hog »

advnzer wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:10 pm
sussamb wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:46 pm First ensure the route is selected so it's highlighted. Then Alt + click and hold, then drag while holding down. Release when the point is where you want it. If you hover the point, but still hold down, you should see the route recalculate to what it would be if you let go.
i beleive this is the same as inserting a point.I have never had success with this .I belive its because i have a laptop and cant(or dont know how) to do this on a touchpad mouse
Place your cursor on the highlighted route and hold down the"Alt key" and the "Left Click button" and now you can drag it where you want it. I also use a mouse for my laptops to make this easier.
Jim Diebolt
Zumo XT
2015 Kawasaki 1700 Voyager
Northern California, USA
advnzer
Has liked: 3 times
New Zealand

Post by advnzer »

with a bit of reprogramming of fingers i have managed to do this,alt click business and the end result is exactly like the insert point tool but the alt click method is easier becuae you dont have to wriggle the mouse sround to make the black line come up as per
Attachments
route4.jpg
route4.jpg (101.64 KiB) Viewed 5246 times
Rynglieder
Great Britain

Post by Rynglieder »

Thank you to everyone who has come forward with advice and assistance, I think I'm getting somewhere now.

I have cleared everything down from BaseCamp and the unit and started afresh. With a little fiddling round I now seem to have routes in both that are coming up close to my expectations.

Still confused as to why it seems to take exception to perfectly serviceable roads sometimes though......
advnzer
New Zealand

Post by advnzer »

make sure your avoidances align with what you want.If it wont take the road you may need to put in a shaping point or three.When you insert those points and they show up in the route box there is some way to turn off alerts
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

If you're able to post a screenshot and say where it is we should be able to explain why. I've never come across a situation where BaseCamp routing however weird can't be explained.
advnzer
New Zealand

Post by advnzer »

sussamb wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:43 am If you're able to post a screenshot and say where it is we should be able to explain why. I've never come across a situation where BaseCamp routing however weird can't be explained.
really ! i find it not logical at all sometimes it will put in a big loop to avoid the road i want to go down.and i cant see that avoidances,distance or time is any more the way i want to go.I am sure there must be some logic.I think the whole thing has become far to specific. should ony be a couple of avoidances IMHO
kernowing
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 55 times
Great Britain

Post by kernowing »

Rynglieder wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:30 am Still confused as to why it seems to take exception to perfectly serviceable roads sometimes though......
Did you find this Video? I found it very useful.
2007 GL1800 Goldwing
2018 Triumph Speedmaster 1200 (now sold)
Zumo 660LM
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

advnzer wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:47 am
sussamb wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:43 am If you're able to post a screenshot and say where it is we should be able to explain why. I've never come across a situation where BaseCamp routing however weird can't be explained.
really ! i find it not logical at all sometimes it will put in a big loop to avoid the road i want to go down.and i cant see that avoidances,distance or time is any more the way i want to go.I am sure there must be some logic.I think the whole thing has become far to specific. should ony be a couple of avoidances IMHO
You can create your own profiles, so just create one with the avoidances etc you want.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

advnzer wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:47 am really ! i find it not logical at all sometimes it will put in a big loop to avoid the road i want to go down.and i cant see that avoidances,distance or time is any more the way i want to go.I am sure there must be some logic.I think the whole thing has become far to specific. should ony be a couple of avoidances IMHO
If it makes you feel better- it's not just you. Base Camp does it to me occasionally. There's still a section of road about 1/2 mile long that I travel every other day that BaseCamp will do whatever it can to avoid. I never have figured out why but it's like it thinks the road is closed for construction. Even if I put 6 shaping points in 600 yds it simply will not route down that section. I've used Garmin Express to report this several times over the last 10 yrs but nothing has ever come of it.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A