New Route Tool

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
VA3TWT
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 2 times
Canada

New Route Tool

Post by VA3TWT »

I am new to Basecamp and I think I messed up already. When I click on the New Route tool I now longer get the pop-up that requests the starting and ending waypoints. I must have accidentally checked the little box that said "Don't show this again".

Is there some way I can get that pop-up back?

Thanks a bunch!
Gord
Zumo 595LM
2010 GL1800 Goldwing
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Re: New Route Tool

Post by rbentnail »

I didn't know there was a pop-up. I always pick the new route tool, click my start on the map, click my destination on the map, hit ESCAPE to prevent further point selection, then click on the HAND icon so I don't inadvertently do something I don't want to. Remember way back in the day when we first started using computers and we were told over and over to stop every few minutes and click SAVE? Remember the frustration when you lose an hour of work b/c you didn't? That same level of frustration is what happens when I don't immediately switch back to the HAND icon and I end up losing my route.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Ah yes, that little gremlin. You can switch it off but not back on. I'm not sure if uninstalling then reinstalling cures it, not sure it does.

However there is a field in the Basecamp config file that you could change if you are confident with a text editor.

You can find the file "user.config" in the following place on Win7 -
"C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\GARMIN_Corp\BaseCamp.exe_Urlxxxx\4.6.2.0\"
The final folder names and Basecamp version may be a bit different, but this gives you a starting point.

The value you need to change is in this key.
<setting name="ShowRouteCreationDialog" serializeAs="String">
<value>False</value>

You need to change "False" to "True".
Wingstyle
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times
United States of America

Post by Wingstyle »

I believe reset options to default will bring it back. However; I believe it will reset anything else you have customized.

Edit>options>reset
VA3TWT
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 2 times
Canada

Post by VA3TWT »

Thanks sussamb, that did the trick. I will have to be more careful in the future. Maybe once I get more familiar with the software I can do with out it, but for now, I want to be sure I'm working with the proper maps.

Thanks again!
Gord
Zumo 595LM
2010 GL1800 Goldwing