.gpx file naming

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
CollingsBob
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 21 times
Canada

.gpx file naming

Post by CollingsBob »

Due to Covid I haven’t needed to use BC for a long time, so I’m rusty.
Finally we can travel, so I have created a route, with each day having a separate name ..for example “Day 02 Nipigon Sudbury”… but when I transfer the file to my 396 I don’t see that file name, instead it uses the address or intersection name, which makes it hard to select the route for that day..
How do I get my Garmin 396 to see or use the same file names that I gave that .gpx file in Basecamp?
Certified JB Welder
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: .gpx file naming

Post by jfheath »

You aren't naming a file. You are naming a folder or a list.

I assume that you mean something like this in Basecamp
BC Side Panels.png
BC Side Panels.png (19.82 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
In the above Example, 2021 Wales is a List Folder.
08 Mellor Pack Horse, 09 Shrewsbury, 11 Tenby etc are lists which contain the routes, waypoints and tracks for a single day.

The botttom windo shows the waypoints, the route and a track for Day 08. I have put a number at the front to make it easier for me to recognise to which day a particular route, track or waypoint belongs.

I can send 2021 Wales to the Zumo - but the process strips out the folders names and the lists. That is something to help keep everything organised when it is in BAsecamp. The Zumo is only concerned with the names of the routes, tracks and waypoints.

So Double click on the route. It will show a dialogue box in which you can change the name. Or you can change the name in the window pane shown above. Click on it once. Wait a second and click on it again, and it will allow you to edit it.
Ditto with the Waypoints names and track names.

(I add the mileage to the waypoint names once the route is finsihed - which I find useful when using the satnav - so 08 063 Hayfield was 63 miles from the start of the route on the 8th day. AMongst other things, It keeps all of the waypoints sorted in order, which can be very convenient.)

The 595 used to keep routes organised into day order - if you set the data and time for the first waypoint of the route. Double click the route, double click the first waypoint in the route description and it allows you to set a time and a date. The 396 may do the same thing.

(My insructions are for the PC - you will need to translate to Mac if you use apple stuff. Sorry. I don't speak Mac.)

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
CollingsBob
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 21 times
Canada

Re: .gpx file naming

Post by CollingsBob »

John…Thankyou so much for taking the time to give me those instructions. Not using, not having the opportunity, or the need to use Basecamp for so long took me back to the beginning…
Certified JB Welder