Learning and using Basecamp

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
tojjer
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Re: Learning and using Basecamp

Post by tojjer »

Dusty ST wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:40 pm I find it's easier to do the initial planning on MyRoute using Google maps, and Streetview, then export, open in BC and check it's all on the right roads (it usually needs a tweak or two) before sending to the Zumo.
MyRoute also allows you to automatically add points along the route, which I turn to 'unannounced' in BC.
Hi, I've used the MyRouteApp, but find it too did the trying to send me to the end destination straight away.
I assume you use the "gold" membership to get the Google maps facility.
Do you save it as gpx1.0 or gpx1.1?
Dusty ST
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 10 times
Great Britain

Post by Dusty ST »

tojjer wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:51 am Hi, I've used the MyRouteApp, but find it too did the trying to send me to the end destination straight away.
I assume you use the "gold" membership to get the Google maps facility.
Do you save it as gpx1.0 or gpx1.1?
I've not tried the MyRoute app, but a friend used it on a tour around France, Luxembourg, Germany & Belgium earlier in the month and found it was fine left to make up it's own routes, but it did get lost and confused following the routes I'd planned and used on my Garmin.
The Tom Tom and an older Zumo also used in the same group following my routes were generally the same, and was confirmed with bike to bike comms.

I save to GPX 1.1, which I believe also has the track, which also shows up when it's loaded in BC, so I can easily spot where the route strays from what I planned in MyRoute, and correct it.

Yes, I have Gold membership, so not sure what's not included in the freebie version, I've planned several years of UK and Euro tours, and am pretty happy with my planning routine, which always starts out on MyRoute where I do a lot of dabbling with ideas for routes which I don't find is as easy on BC.
tojjer
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

Brilliant, thank you
mickshere
Has liked: 12 times
Great Britain

Post by mickshere »

Many thanks to all your advice guys, when i started looking at basecamp after using mapsource for about 10 years I was tempted to bin it and stay with my comfortable mapsource but I felt my new 595lm which is replacing my old 550 deserved a new approach /// the journey continues! :D
Steve W
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times
Canada

Post by Steve W »

Another guide that's come across my radar. PC based advice.

(Dead link replaced - Moderator)

viewtopic.php?t=521
Last edited by jfheath on Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Replacing dead issuu link
Breezly
Subscriber
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by Breezly »

Ed Conde has updated the New England Riders Basecamp Tutorial and added Part 2, Advanced Routing.

http://www.newenglandriders.org/GPS/Learn_BaseCamp.htm
Learn Garmin Basecamp with New England Riders Tutorial:
https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/
Helmetbolt
Has liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by Helmetbolt »

I've been watching a series of you tube videos about how to use Basecamp. I have learned so much in a short space of time.

By a guy called EZ MOTO TIM.

This is a link to the first of many video's he does on the subject.

2007 Buell XB12X Ulysses.
2000 Harley Springer Softail.
Zumo 550.
Zumo XT.
curlylegend
France

Post by curlylegend »

Total Noobie here, but I just can't get past the "Map Detail Locked" I've followed all the instructions but keep getting a "Locked Map" situation and no help to unlock it.
The maps on my Zumo 396 show great detail but even if I try to use these while plugged into my PC, I still get "Map Detail Locked"
Garmin themselves are totally useless. Going to their help page is a complete waste of time !
If this topic has been covered in this forum, please forgive me and point me in the right direction please ?
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

There was an issue with an earlier version of Express. Remove the map from your PC, update Express and send the map to your PC again.
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

sussamb wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:07 pm There was an issue with an earlier version of Express. Remove the map from your PC, update Express and send the map to your PC again.
I'm getting the "Maps Locked" message, on the latest version of Basecamp and Express and three different GPS's. Tired removing the maps, deleting bascamp and Express and the same depressing message :(

Sometimes, just sometimes, I yearn for the days of CD-ROM updates and the long list of characters to install maps.