Learning and using Basecamp

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
JD Hog
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Re: Learning and using Basecamp

Post by JD Hog »

Here is a link for learning Basecamp with YouTube videos

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/41134

Please note: If this is not allowed, remove this post
Jim Diebolt
Zumo XT
2015 Kawasaki 1700 Voyager
Northern California, USA
patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

My question is where does BC store my files? There is still some stuff I want to do in MS that is easier. Where can I find my tracks that are in BC, I can covert them and then use them in MS.
rickmcd
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by rickmcd »

sussamb wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:02 pm It's actually easier than that. You can just rubber band the route having inserted the start and end point and allowed BC to calculate the route. No need to use insert etc
To do so press Alt then click on the route ... you can then rubber band it to where you want.
I was a bit frustrated ;) with BC after using Mapsource for so long until I discovered this way of making routes. Easy Peasy! I would add that I always zoom in in order to use intersections that become "shaping points" vice waypoints.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

patrickg450 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:40 pm My question is where does BC store my files? There is still some stuff I want to do in MS that is easier. Where can I find my tracks that are in BC, I can covert them and then use them in MS.
You can paste/copy tracks, and indeed all data, between MapSource and BaseCamp and vice versa. Your complete database is stored in AllData.gdb
patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

sussamb wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:34 am
patrickg450 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:40 pm My question is where does BC store my files? There is still some stuff I want to do in MS that is easier. Where can I find my tracks that are in BC, I can covert them and then use them in MS.
You can paste/copy tracks, and indeed all data, between MapSource and BaseCamp and vice versa. Your complete database is stored in AllData.gdb

OK.....good info here, thanks!!!! So What I am trying to do is open up and get my info out of the BC data base so I can tinker with it in MapSource. I made several attempts to open up the "allData" file after I found it. BUt I could not, any suggestions?

I was able to cut and paste.................so I now have them in MS.
alan sh
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 26 times
Great Britain

Post by alan sh »

ALl data is stored in a database. You can't just 'get them'. What you can do is select the information you want (routes, points, etc.) and then export them to GPX files.

Try it - it's not hard.
Alan
Owner of 3 Zumo 660's, one 346 and 2 bikes
patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

I did my editing in MS, the cut and paste worked. I never did see an "export" type of option when I was on a saved track.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

rickmcd wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:54 pm I would add that I always zoom in in order to use intersections that become "shaping points" vice waypoints.
Ooh, bad news! I learned long ago to NEVER use an intersection as a way or via point, for 2 reasons:
- using BaseCamp mapping, I can't tell if it's road meeting or simply a bridge. And sometimes when it's just a bridge BC or even just the gps device chooses the road underneath so I might get routed 17 miles out of the way on dirt roads to get to that point on that road below.
- the device sends me point by point. Having the point ON the intersection says the direction TO the point is more important than the turn FROM the intersection. So the gps doesn't tell me to turn until AFTER I reach the via/way/shaping point, which may be past the point of turning. Or in the case of a T intersection, the gps sometimes wants me in the ditch on the far side before it tells me to turn.

These two things taught me very quickly to make the via/way/shaping point not ON intersections but 4 or 500 yards AFTER intersections. I think it works much better that way, no confusion at all.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
rickmcd
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by rickmcd »

rbentnail wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:26 pm
rickmcd wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:54 pm I would add that I always zoom in in order to use intersections that become "shaping points" vice waypoints.
These two things taught me very quickly to make the via/way/shaping point not ON intersections but 4 or 500 yards AFTER intersections. I think it works much better that way, no confusion at all.

Yup, learned this the hard way also ;) thus the bit about zooming in. You have to be zoomed in a LOT to determine where On the intersection the via point will be. The above and also having some "avoidances" unknowingly checked has led me on some very "weird " trips.Once was trying to get out of Miami for Keywest and was led in circles for EVER till I discovered that I had "avoid toll roads" checked. :oops:
tojjer
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

I find BC so complicated.
Been using tyre2travel, and more recently Myrouteapp to plan a route, save the gpx files and import it to BC to check if it will match up on the Garmin.
Long winded I know, but BC really confuses me, and I almost get a route planned and mess it up cos I forget to click the hand to move the map and land up putting extra points everywhere instead.

Why didn't Gaarmin ever do a "simple" version for us people that wanna just plan a simple route