660 not importing route properly

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
w2ge
Has liked: 22 times
United States of America

660 not importing route properly

Post by w2ge »

Need help for a friend, he uses Mac version of BaseCamp, older zumo 660, and master reset has been performed (a few times) while trying to fix this issue. Newest mapset on his Mac and gps.

So I created a route for an upcoming 2 day ride for our club. Route TO (Day 1) is 189 miles. I’ve imported the routes to my 396 (I’m on Windows BaseCamp, I’m not a Mac guy) and no issues, another rider has a 660 and again no issues. Friends Mac and gps are on newest mapset. (He’s checked, 2021.2)

Route was created on an older mapset but has been moved around, changed for this ride so some of route from older mapset, some newer shaping points in 2021.2

Anyway, when he transfers the route to his gps from his Mac and sent directly to device it is all screwed up. It lists the route as like 841 miles, etc. He’s deleted, master reset, tried reloading etc, always messed up.

Edit: We kind of fixed the problem... he selected route, then hit edit, then “optimally reorder points” and now they seem 100%. Mileage is correct. . Still want to know why this is happening with his gps...

Not sure if this should actually be on BaseCamp for MAC, but tbh, I think it’s his gps, not BaseCamp causing the issue, I’ve loaded long routes Into his gps in the past and he had same issue. IIRC, After a master reset it fixed the problem once...
Phil - Current VP New Sweden BMW Riders, Past President
Voorhees, NJ
Zumo 396 -> SENA 20s EVO
BMW R1200RT
APRILIA Caponord Rally
danham
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 82 times
United States of America

Re: 660 not importing route properly

Post by danham »

This and other weird behavior, often involving impossible mileage estimates (everything from your huge 841 miles to no miles at all) can often be cured simply by forcing the route to recalculate once it is imported to the 660. Yes, I know it calculates when you import, but a forced recalc seems to fix some problems, and importantly, reveal others, such as lack of shaping points or bad routing, before you head out.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
JohnnyRidesAlone
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by JohnnyRidesAlone »

I had this on my XT recently. It was because I saved the route on my PC as a .GDB not a .GPX
Ducati Multistrada V4S and ST4s
Every zumo from 550 590 660 XT
w2ge
Has liked: 22 times
United States of America

Post by w2ge »

JohnnyRidesAlone wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:08 pm I had this on my XT recently. It was because I saved the route on my PC as a .GDB not a .GPX
Interesting.. but I’m sure I posted route as .gpx

I’ve gotten away from saving as .gdb as overall, most of my club is Gps clueless and sending in .gdb Format just throws another wrench into the confusion :lol: :lol:
Phil - Current VP New Sweden BMW Riders, Past President
Voorhees, NJ
Zumo 396 -> SENA 20s EVO
BMW R1200RT
APRILIA Caponord Rally
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

danham wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:27 pm This and other weird behavior, often involving impossible mileage estimates (everything from your huge 841 miles to no miles at all) can often be cured simply by forcing the route to recalculate once it is imported to the 660. Yes, I know it calculates when you import, but a forced recalc seems to fix some problems, and importantly, reveal others, such as lack of shaping points or bad routing, before you head out.

-dan
Sorry its a while ago but this may help.

If the route has come from Basecamp, then the route should not take a long time to recalculate when it is transferred or loaded to the Zumo. If it does, then something is not set up correctly. First of all the map on the Zumo must be identical to the map on Basecamp / Mapsource. Mapsource is the preferred option for the 660. Basecamp now has features which are not supported by the 660. If the route was created on an older map, then make sure it is recalculated on the computer when loaded into a newer map

If you insist on using Basecamp, then Edit / Options / Device Transfer should have none of the three boxes ticked.

Make sure that no stupid selections have been made for the route. Eg avoid seasonal closures, avoid ferry crossings. etc. In fact, turn every avoidance option off, make sure the unit is in motorcycle mode, select fastest time, and makes sure similar settings are set up in Mapsource / Basecamp.

Make sure that when you load the map you are somewhere near to the start of the route. If that isn't possible, then turn the GPS off, and set the position of the motorcycle near to the start. Sorry - I have forgotten how to do this on the 660.

Finally, make sure the route is created using the motorcycle profile. Not car, not custom profile. This is one piece of information that the satnav takes notice of.

-----

If the route has come from somewhere other than Basecamp/Mapsource, then you are on your own. They have trouble routing if the points are not on an actual road - which is possible if the route has been generated on a different map.

The 660 can get short of memory. Hook your 660 up to a PC and take a copy of the folders in internal memory. Put music on a memory card. Clean out unwanted text to speech files, speed camera info, Different language keyboards and other resources, unused vehicle icons, and any routes in there that you no longer need.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.