slow reading of SD card?

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
danham
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 82 times
United States of America

slow reading of SD card?

Post by danham »

I keep a lot of routes (more than 150) on my SD card and it was getting slower and slower. Today I went to add some new routes for an upcoming trip and when I hit "Routes" under "Import Data," it took about 6 minutes to populate the screen with choices and none of them were the GPX files I had just added using a card reader on my iMac.

After a bunch of reboots and other thrashing around, I decided to make a backup of all the data on the card and to use the excellent sdcard.org formatter to start fresh.

Success! It reads the files much faster and the new data was right where I put it.

Hope this helps someone.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
carolinarider09
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 35 times
United States of America

Re: slow reading of SD card?

Post by carolinarider09 »

danham wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:21 pm I keep a lot of routes (more than 150) on my SD card and it was getting slower and slower. Today I went to add some new routes for an upcoming trip and when I hit "Routes" under "Import Data," it took about 6 minutes to populate the screen with choices and none of them were the GPX files I had just added using a card reader on my iMac.

After a bunch of reboots and other thrashing around, I decided to make a backup of all the data on the card and to use the excellent sdcard.org formatter to start fresh.

Success! It reads the files much faster and the new data was right where I put it.

Hope this helps someone.

-dan
Do you have a reliable place to download the program?
danham
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 82 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

carolinarider09 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:58 am Do you have a reliable place to download the program?
Yes, links on this page for both Mac and Windows versions...

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/index.html

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
carolinarider09
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 35 times
United States of America

Post by carolinarider09 »

Thanks.

I downloaded both. I run a Windows 7 environment on my Mac so I might try both. Have not installed them yet.