660 newb could use some advice...

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
vanorak
Been liked: 3 times
Wales

660 newb could use some advice...

Post by vanorak »

hi, I'm thinking to buy a used 660LM, The seller seems to be genuine. It's updated with the latest maps (CN Europe NT 2020.20). These are stored both internally and on an 8gb SD card, with a small percentage of memory left in each. I like to listen to music when I'm travelling, so the seller suggested I transfer the maps to a larger SD to free up memory so here's where I'm hoping some veteran 660 users can chime in:

assuming I plug the device into my laptop with Garmin express:

can I simply
back up and save all the files (maps, etc.) to my laptop
select which files are stored internally and externally
copy selected files on to a larger SD (32gb)

and crucially,
can mp3 audio files be copied onto the same SD card?

I'm not sure whether it's an either or situation with Garmin. On the Tomtom I used previously, SD cards could be loaded with maps, MP3, jpegs etc. and the device would do the rest

hope this makes sense, as it's a deal breaker as far as any replacement unit is concerned.

Thanks in advance, and please excuse my general ignorance
V :D
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Re: 660 newb could use some advice...

Post by rbentnail »

Not a 660 but both nuvi and my 595 allow for music to be placed on and played from that same SD card. The nuvi had to have mp3 format, it would not play Win format, so I just carried that over to my 595. All the music I put on my SD card was already mp3 format so I have no idea if the 595 is queer about it too.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

vanorak wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:56 am can I simply
back up and save all the files (maps, etc.) to my laptop
select which files are stored internally and externally
copy selected files on to a larger SD (32gb)
First point, yes, but be aware some files may be in a hidden folder named .system, I can't recall if a 660 has that or not.

Second point, to some extent. Some files will only operate correctly from the device itself.

Third, see answer to second point.

What will easily work will be copying the files from the 8Gb to a 32Gb card, just ensure the 32Gb is formatted FAT32 (it should be by default) and that you retain the same folder structure as on the 8Gb card.
vanorak
Been liked: 3 times
Wales

Post by vanorak »

Hi....Thanks for the replies. the seller said he will load UK & ROI into the internal memory, and save the full europe CN map onto the SD card. that way, I can use the unit for general nav in the UK (with some tunes loaded onto another SD) and insert the Europe map when I'm abroad. good to know maps and music can share the same card (in respective folders)...
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

I had some trouble with the first SD card I used in the 595. With the second, I did not attempt to format it. I simply placed it in the device and turned it on. The device asked if I wanted to format, I chose yes and it did the rest. That way I know it's formatted to Garmin's needs. No troubles with it since.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

You don't need to have the map on both the card and in internal memory. The map will work faster if it is in internal memory. If you want backup, certainly put it on a card, but one that you carry separately and can plug in if you need it. You may have to be selective about which areas of mapping you want in internal memory if the map is large and memory is tight.

The MP3 player will read mp3 files from both internal memory and from the sd card. If you have a copy of the same song in each place, the Zumo will list it twice, without revealing which is which. The music has to be stored in a correctly named folder. - I think it has to be MP3 off the root - but check that out. It probably exists in internal memory, but you will have to create it yourself if you want it on the SD card. The name is case sensitive.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Wingstyle
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times
United States of America

Post by Wingstyle »

The music has to be stored in a correctly named folder. - I think it has to be MP3 off the root - but check that out. It probably exists in internal memory, but you will have to create it yourself if you want it on the SD card. The name is case sensitive.
I am not aware of the requirements listed by jfheath. I must be meeting them:-) I have a 660 and have my music on the microSD card. I have it in the cards root in a folder named MP3 (all caps). In that folder I have subfolders of the artists. You don't have to name them by artist. I do this to make it easier to find songs if I want to add/delete specific songs. In each artist subfolder I have the individual songs. I keep the number of songs per subfolder at 10 or less. This reportedly helps with boot up speed of the 660. I have 788 songs in 96 folders and it works well.
MP3
Artist1
song1
song2
up to 10 or less songs
Artist2

I did have my maps on the card because all the maps will no longer fit in the internal memory. I was having lockup problems almost every time I used the unit. I have deleted the maps from the card and put just the lower 48 states *(USA) which currently fits, in the internal memory. Since then I have had no problems. I believe the 660 was having problems reading map information from the card. I then reformatted my card and put the music back on it. This seemed to help load the music faster, making boot up faster. Not fast, just faster:-) I may be able to put the maps back on the card since the reformat, but it is working now so I'll keep it as it is.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Wingstyle wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:52 pmK

I am not aware of the requirements listed by jfheath. I must be meeting them:-) I have a 660 and have my music on the microSD card. I have it in the cards root in a folder named MP3 (all caps). In that folder I have subfolders of the artists. You don't have to name them by artist. I do this to make it easier to find songs if I want to add/delete specific songs. In each artist subfolder I have the individual songs. I keep the number of songs per subfolder at 10 or less. This reportedly helps with boot up speed of the 660. I have 788 songs in 96 folders and it works well.
MP3
Artist1
song1
song2
up to 10 or less songs
Artist2
Thanks for confirming. I did exactly th same except I had folders for albums under each artist folder. That worked without problem. I found that easier to manage. I don't use playlists, but think there may be an issue in creating and maintaining them with this arrangement. Its been a while since I gave up my 660, so cannot be sure. I wasn't aware of a 10 entry limit per folder. There is a practical limit on the number of subfolders at the top level - but not beyond that as far as I am aware.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.