Maps Version 2020.30

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
carolinarider09
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 35 times
United States of America

Maps Version 2020.30

Post by carolinarider09 »

Just saw new maps were available for my Garmin devices. Downloading them to the 660 now. Will provide any feedback if I find issues.
Last edited by carolinarider09 on Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
carolinarider09
United States of America

Re: Maps Version 2020.30

Update:

Maps downloaded to my 660 with out any issues (US and Canada). However updating the 665 did not go well. There was a previous post about the issue and they referenced the following article on Garmin's site.

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=W ... =noProduct

I tried the process and it did not work. The maps would don't load on the device but apparently did load on my computer (I had Basecamp up).

I could use Mapinsall to update the maps but there as not enough room on the 16 GB SD card to add the US and Canada maps. it appears to be a storage issue on the SD card. I have about 8 GB os audio books stored there which takes up far more space than I expected.

I am going to try and use a 32 GB SD card. I am now doing is transferring all the SD card data to another storage device. I will then transfer the flies to a new card and see what happens. Will provide an update later.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

32GB for a Zumo 660 should be ok according to this on the Garmin support site.

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=U ... pgAhUUCqp7

Interesting that the 665 has a maximum capacity of only 8GB

Note that you can reduce the space required by selecting the portion of the map to install.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

I wouldn't worry about the 8Gb limit, folks have reported larger cards work ok, and certainly up to 32Gb. Some will even take larger cards but they wont be formatted FAT32 by default, so would need reformatting.
carolinarider09
United States of America

I did a search to see what card sizes were allowed and found a site that indicated the 32 GB would work in the 665. It appears the card size was/is limited based the current version of the software in the device.

Garmin's site (referenced below) indicates I could use a 32 GB in a 660 but only an 8 GB in a 665. Since the 665 has a 16 GB card in it now (my back up card is an 8 GB) if would seem that the information is sort of "it depends".

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=U ... =noProduct

I suspect that the issue with how fast the device responds is directly related to the card size.

Installing smaller maps (ie. just the SE US for example ) is not an option I want to use. It means that if I take a trip that extends beyond that range I have to either change out the cards as I travel (not an ideal option) or use the 660 which means I don't have access to XM, ect.

One other option, probably the best, is to remove some of the audible files I have on the card to make room for the maps. I will probably try that next.
carolinarider09
United States of America

Update:

I did not yet install the 32 GB card, but did do the following with the 16 GB card I had installed:

1. I connected the GPS to my Windows 7 program running on the Mac (using VMWare Fusion) and launched the Audible program. I then deleted the audio books I had either completed or that had a low likelihood of being listened to in the near future. This freed up a couple of GBs of space on the SD card.

2. I then tried (using the Mac system not Windows) to install the new maps on the SD card using MapInstall. I selected the lower Canadian provinces and the lower 49 states. The program reported that there was not enough space on the SD card to make the install. (Don't have clue why maybe it was the space).

3. Ok, Plan B - with the GPS still attached to the computer I launched Garmin Express. It noted the 665 was connected and new maps were available. Ok, so I told it to install the maps (lower 49 states). The install completed. (Surprise, Surprise.....)

4. Relaunched Garmin's MapInstall program. It noted the SD card (as it was selected before I guess) and I meticulously selected the maps for the Canadian provinces. I told it to install the maps and it completed the install without issue.

What did I learn?

1. It appears that the audible storage is not limited to the SD card even though that is where the files are installed. Now this may be offset by the next item.

2. Before the install, I had an older set of maps that were still installed somewhere (at least when you looked at the map information on the device it showed them as being an option. After the install, these maps were no longer show as a potential option for selection on the maps info page.

Status - It appears that I now have the maps they way I wanted and now have an install process for future operations.

I will attempt to "clone" the new 32 GB card I purchased today (already did a FAT32 format under windows) and see if it will work in the unit.

I wish I had taken before and after pictures of the GPS Map info screen. The picture below is the current status of the GPS.
665 Map Info Screen
665 Map Info Screen
IMG_1140.JPG (272.77 KiB) Viewed 2573 times