For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
carolinarider09
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 35 times
United States of America

Re: 660 locks when asking for Route Preview

Post by carolinarider09 »

No images yet.

Regarding the rout planning, what you said is something similar to what I do. But.... it takes me longer than an hour to plan several thousand mile trip.

I usually have a "plan" like heading to the northern part of Lake Superior. Once the basic idea is formed I then being to form the route with waypoints.

I look up roads on several data sites but sometimes just elect the most rural roads. Next I plan the overnight stops. Riding with just my wife (two up) the days trip varies from several hundred to maybe 350 miles.

Once the trip is planned and reservations made. I break it up into each days ride and put the on the GPS. Then I verify the route on the GPS is what i wanted.

Here is the interesting thing, four or five years ago, I purchased a Garmin 660 as a spare GPS. It was after I had an issue with the 665 and I did not want to have to change a trip or use paper maps so, I got the 660.

Maps load differently on the 660, they seem to load onto the main memory while the same maps load onto the memory card in the 665. Also, with the same route and same waypoints, the routes calculated in the 665 are different from the route the 660 calculates (same waypoints, same route selection, ie. shortest or fastest). I believe the issue with the 665 is that there are some older files on the 665's main memory since the only difference between the two devies is one has access to XM and the other does not.
Tom Schmitz
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 19 times
United States of America

Post by Tom Schmitz »

I don't use an SD card on the 660. I'm not sure what the proper term is, but it sure seems that the maps have gotten larger in terms of megabytes per square mile, or perhaps it's per linear mile of road. The 660 processor is certainly outdated and struggles sudden and large operations, such as screen refresh on a zoom. There are times when I frantically and desparately need to zoom in NOW and the zumo has not yet auto-zoomed as I viciously stab at the screen trying to get it to zoom. It would seem that the added burden of reading from external memory will only exacerbate the problem.

If the 660 and 665 use the same firmware (or could be made to run on the same firmware) I wonder if they would operate identically with the exact same file system. That is, if you were happy with the way the 660 was working, what if you were to clone it's operating system and files structure to the 665? Of course, that is a rhetorical question. I have seen enough vagaries in operation with my sample of one 660 to know that there is often weird stuff going on someplace, e.g. it occasionally deciding that I need to get off at every off-ramp on I-10, then getting over it later on. And not doing it the next time!
carolinarider09
United States of America

Regarding the off ramp/on ramp scenario, I seen the same thing on my 665 when following the shortest route (as selected in the routing preferences). It does not make a lot of sense but, since I can see the map and the route, I just ignore it and keep going.

Sometimes I will pick a "waypoints" that is on a four lane road but the point is geographically located (as per the map) on the other set of lanes (almost always a divided highway). So, it will dutifully try and route me to that exact point. Again, I just ignore it and proceed.

Still, from what I have read here and on other forums, I don't want to get a newer device while my 665 and 660 (and my 550) still work.
RadioFlyer
Been liked: 1 time
Canada

Post by RadioFlyer »

Tom Schmitz wrote:I have never tried anything but Mapsource and Basecamp, except for a brief trial of Tyre. I didn't care for Tyre. This was long ago and IIRC I was running it in Linux. It and programs like Trips and Streets are probably quite different from what I remember.

People kvetch about Basecamp something fierce but I think that, once you get it, it is a marvelous program. I have a process for building routes that is very fast and easy for me.

I use the Route tool to click on where I want to start and where I want to finish and let BC route it. This route is often thousands of miles long. Then, with the insert tool, I drag the route to intersections to shape it to my liking. Dragging the route to intersections creates shaping points that are not announced (not that announcing means anything to me, I don't take advantage of it).

I then go back over the route and insert a gas station as a waypoint at roughly 150-mile intervals (my riding partner is on a MotoGuzzi California). I then insert the appropriate motels or campgrounds, as well as any other interesting points, as waypoints. I include a gas stop at the end of each day right before the hotel. I then quickly go over the route to make sure I don't have any misplaced shaping points that will take me down a street only to do a u-turn or such like that.

Then I duplicate the route as many times as there are days in the ride and go into each duplicate and remove all the data that is not pertinent to the day's ride. I wind up with a set of daily routes for the whole trip. It's incredibly fast and easy and there is the advantage that the same map is used on the zumo as in Basecamp, so I very seldom run into any routing issues.

Planning an entire week's worth of riding might take me an hour from start to finish. There's something that they say about having done something 10,000 times... ;^)
Great post. A question - how do you duplicate your route?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

carolinarider09
United States of America

Here are some images from the files on my Garmin Zumo 665' main memory. As you can see, there is not a lot of space left and there appears to be a "hidden" file or two which I suspect are some old 2019 maps.
Attachments
Garmin Device
Garmin Device
Screen Shot 2019-10-26 at 1.25.57 PM.png (143.71 KiB) Viewed 3020 times
Garmin Main Memory
Garmin Main Memory
Screen Shot 2019-10-26 at 1.23.22 PM.png (156.95 KiB) Viewed 3020 times
Garmin Folder
Garmin Folder
Screen Shot 2019-10-26 at 1.23.33 PM.png (128.46 KiB) Viewed 3020 times
Garmin Folder in Garmin folder.
Garmin Folder in Garmin folder.
Screen Shot 2019-10-26 at 1.23.47 PM.png (117.41 KiB) Viewed 3020 times
carolinarider09
United States of America

Here are some pictures of the Zumo 660 memory. I had thought that the map files were stored on main memory on the 660 but such is not the case. In looking at the 660's information, the 2019 maps are not there which is what I suspect is taking up the space on the main memory of the 665. But since the maps are stored on both devices on the memory card, the only real issue is can I recover the space on the 665's main memory?
Attachments
Memory Available
Memory Available
Screen Shot 2019-10-26 at 2.15.26 PM.png (146.1 KiB) Viewed 3017 times
660 Memory Allocation
660 Memory Allocation
Screen Shot 2019-10-26 at 2.15.34 PM.png (133.74 KiB) Viewed 3017 times
660 Garmin Folder (Pic 1 of 2)
660 Garmin Folder (Pic 1 of 2)
Screen Shot 2019-10-26 at 2.15.43 PM.png (173.64 KiB) Viewed 3017 times
660 Garmin Folder (Pic 2 of 2)
660 Garmin Folder (Pic 2 of 2)
Screen Shot 2019-10-26 at 2.15.58 PM.png (176.62 KiB) Viewed 3017 times
Tom Schmitz
United States of America

Post by Tom Schmitz »

RadioFlyer wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:34 pm...A question - how do you duplicate your route?

@RadioFlyer,

Bear in mind that I am on a Windows machine. A Mac might be different.

My Basecamp screen has a pane on the left that shows my data structure, comprised of Lists and List Folders, which is some stupid Teurtonic way of saying Folders and Subfolders.

Below that is a pane that filters the data in the List into Waypoints, Routes, and Tracks. If I filter on Routes, then I see all of the route names in the List.

If I right-click (and this is where it would be different on a Mac, as they have no right-click) on a route name I get a pop-up menu that includes the option "Duplicate". When I select that I get another pop up that asks me if I want to also duplicate the waypoints that are included in that route, to which I answer "No". A duplicate route is then created and the name is iterated by a number. That is, "10-26-19 to Sacramento" becomes "10-26-19 to Sacramento 1". I can duplicate the route as many times as I like.
Tom Schmitz
United States of America

Post by Tom Schmitz »

How do I delete a post?
Last edited by Tom Schmitz on Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RadioFlyer
Been liked: 1 time
Canada

Post by RadioFlyer »

Tom Schmitz wrote:
RadioFlyer wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:34 pm...A question - how do you duplicate your route?

@RadioFlyer,

Bear in mind that I am on a Windows machine. A Mac might be different.

My Basecamp screen has a pane on the left that shows my data structure, comprised of Lists and List Folders, which is some stupid Teurtonic way of saying Folders and Subfolders.

Below that is a pane that filters the data in the List into Waypoints, Routes, and Tracks. If I filter on Routes, then I see all of the route names in the List.

If I right-click (and this is where it would be different on a Mac, as they have no right-click) on a route name I get a pop-up menu that includes the option "Duplicate". When I select that I get another pop up that asks me if I want to also duplicate the waypoints that are included in that route, to which I answer "No". A duplicate route is then created and the name is iterated by a number. That is, "10-26-19 to Sacramento" becomes "10-26-19 to Sacramento 1". I can duplicate the route as many times as I like.
Thank you!

Tom Schmitz
United States of America

Post by Tom Schmitz »

carolinarider09 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:26 pm Here are some pictures of the Zumo 660 memory. I had thought that the map files were stored on main memory on the 660 but such is not the case. In looking at the 660's information, the 2019 maps are not there which is what I suspect is taking up the space on the main memory of the 665. But since the maps are stored on both devices on the memory card, the only real issue is can I recover the space on the 665's main memory?
You seem to have plenty of available memory on the 660. Can you do a similar look at the 665 and see if there is a remnant gmapprom or gmapsupp file lingering in the "zumo>Garmin" directory?

I didn't know that the map files were on an SD card in the 660. I wonder if your issue with the 660 locking up is because the files are on an SD card and the data transfer handshake between the processor and the card is puking (I assume that you have a full mapset on the card. It might be that you are asking the processor to deal not only with a full mapset but manage a handshaking protocol as well). Since you have so much memory available on the 660, perhaps you could try installing a mapset that is only of the regions you reasonably expect to be riding in using MapInstall. North and South Carolina, eastern Georgia, eastern Tennessee, and Virginia are only about 175Mb.