660 Frozen at logo screen

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
Wingstyle
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times
United States of America

660 Frozen at logo screen

Post by Wingstyle »

I don’t have a problem; not any longer anyway. I thought I would post this in case anybody else has this problem with their 660.

I was cleaning up my music on my 660 microSD (card removed from the unit and in a card reader). When I put the card back and tried to turn it on, it wouldn’t get past the “Garmin” logo screen. I could turn it back off by holding the power button, but trying to turn in it on again had the same results. Sometimes when trying to turn it on I would hear static from the speaker, but still frozen on the “Garmin” logo screen. So Google being my friend, I found this site.

https://support.garmin.com/en-IN/?faq=N ... sfOByLdMMA .

To perform a soft reset:
1. Remove the battery from the zumo
2. Connect the zumo to a power source with a vehicle power cable, USB cable or AC adapter
3. Re-insert the battery
The device should now turn on.

I did this and the unit booted up and seemed to be working, but when I removed the USB cable and put the battery cover back on the unit and tried to start it, it was back at the frozen logo. I did it over and over with the unit on just USB power and also connected to my computer. Same results. When connected to the computer, it worked fine. I could see it with Windows Explorer and BaseCamp. I could send a route, move and see files; everything seemed fine. But once disconnected and powered on, back to the logo. I thought the unit was toast.

I left the unit on my desk with the battery out overnight and tried it for what was going to be my final attempt the next morning. I did the soft reset procedure and it worked. I then did a master reset (pushing the lower right corner of the screen while powering on). Reset all my settings and it has been working fine for several days now.

I have noticed that it acquires satellites in my home office now. It didn’t do that previously (I have tech shield in my attic). It used to see one or two satellites but not enough to acquire location. Now it can. Never did this in the past. Not sure if this is just coincidence or the resets did something.
Sorry for the long-winded post, but I guess it will be worth it if it helps someone save their 660 from being thrown out.
Moose
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times
United States of America

Re: 660 Frozen at logo screen

Post by Moose »

I so glad we all could be of assistance :)
carolinarider09
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 35 times
United States of America

Post by carolinarider09 »

And I appreciate the informative narrative. Always nice to have a problem identified and resolved in the same post. Good for future reference. My 665 is behaving a little strangely and I was thinking about doing a master reset as you did. The only thing stopping me is if I remove the battery, as you did, I might well loss the current time and date information.

So... did you lose the current time and date as a result of your procedure?
Wingstyle
United States of America

Post by Wingstyle »

So... did you lose the current time and date as a result of your procedure?
I lost this from a previous battery removal. You can set the time in tools>settings>time>current time. I did this the last time after I took the battery out and it has kept time correctly (best I can tell) ever since. When I took the battery out this time, the correct time was there after reinsertion pf the battery. Not sure why, but it seems to be working. Also not sure if DST/standard time changes will mess it up. I can't say about date. I don't know any way to see this other than track logs, and I haven't been on any rides yet.
pricejh61

Post by pricejh61 »

From your description, it sounds like the battery was a little low. I had a similar issue when I first got my system. The battery would almost fire up the unit. Worked fair on the USB cable and presented some issues on the cradle. Finally left it on charge overnight and hardwired the cradle to the bikes elect system. Been running fine ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Wingstyle
United States of America

Post by Wingstyle »

I don't believe it was a low battery. When it did fire up the battery was over half charged. Maybe the battery or unit contacts were/are dirty. I will clean them just in case.