Routes Not the Same 660/665

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
carolinarider09
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 35 times
United States of America

Routes Not the Same 660/665

Post by carolinarider09 »

I purchased a 665 maybe five or six years ago (I forget). Several years later, because of so issues with the 665 I was having, I purchased a 660 as a back up. I did not want to lose by prime routing device when on a long road trip. I have some issues early last year, again with the 665, that I think were related to the 2019.10 map release. Sorted that out.

Fast forward to today. Planning a two week road trip and loading the routes (via GPX ) onto both devices, I decided to compare the routes (time and distance). The routes on the 660 are shorter (usually only a few miles) in distance and shorter in time on the 660 when compared to the 665.

I just checked and the maps are the same on the two devices

660 - CN North America NT 2020.10 US & Canada and CN North America NT 2020.10 Basic 3D US & Canada

665 CN North America NT 2020.10 Basic 3D and CN North America NT 2020.10 (1) Labrador - Newfoundland, Pemberton, British Columbia and (2) Lower 49 States and CN North Ameica NT 2019.30 (but it is not checked).

Anyone have a clue as to why to the two devices do not calculate the routes the same way (distance and time)?
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Routes Not the Same 660/665

Post by sussamb »

Possibly a slight difference in the routing algorithms used. Have you compared the routes in BaseCamp to see if there are any actual differences or is it simply the devices calculating different times/distances of the exact same route? If the latter Garmins learn your driving style and so adjust ETAs etc so that could also account for any time discrepancy.
carolinarider09
United States of America

No I have not looked in Basecamp. I rarely use it but did consider trying that so, I will take some time and see if I can note any differences.

Thanks.
betthe
Has liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by betthe »

carolinarider09 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 1:34 pm No I have not looked in Basecamp. I rarely use it but did consider trying that so, I will take some time and see if I can note any differences.
Thanks.
True confession: I AM A BASECAMP USER! :o and have a 665

With my 665 connected to the computer and BaseCamp running, BC will discover the 665 and download the 665s maps. You can now use the 665 maps (which i never do) or the computer maps to plan your route.
I make all my routes in BaseCamp and 'drag them' to the 665 or SD card. I put a copy in each place and do not import any from the SD card. I have found that the 665 makes some slight changes when importing from the SD card.

In BC you can edit activity profiles and create new ones. Remember, when you edit a profile, it will change all routes that you have used it in. I think that it's better to create a new one...

I keep all my routes small, no longer that a day.
carolinarider09
United States of America

betthe wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 2:53 pm
carolinarider09 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 1:34 pm No I have not looked in Basecamp. I rarely use it but did consider trying that so, I will take some time and see if I can note any differences.
Thanks.
True confession: I AM A BASECAMP USER! :o and have a 665

With my 665 connected to the computer and BaseCamp running, BC will discover the 665 and download the 665s maps. You can now use the 665 maps (which i never do) or the computer maps to plan your route.
I make all my routes in BaseCamp and 'drag them' to the 665 or SD card. I put a copy in each place and do not import any from the SD card. I have found that the 665 makes some slight changes when importing from the SD card.

In BC you can edit activity profiles and create new ones. Remember, when you edit a profile, it will change all routes that you have used it in. I think that it's better to create a new one...

I keep all my routes small, no longer that a day.
The notion about the 665 making some light changes when importing the routes from the SD card is interesting. On the 665, the GPX folder I used to transfer the files is on the main unit not the SD card. On the 660, I placed the files in the GPX folder on the Unit itself, not the SD card. Now, I see the GPX folder on the 660 main unit and I will see what happens when I load them there. Just for fun.

I have never really liked Basecamp so I do all the route planning in Microsoft Streets and Trips and save routes (usually only one day for each file) as GPX files and then transfer them to the GPS. Depending on the route, I might have two or three waypoints or 10 or more for each days ride. I have never really counted the number, just a guess.