WNRO (week number roll over) bug once battery removed

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
pidjones
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Re: WNRO (week number roll over) bug once battery removed

Post by pidjones »

adl55 wrote:.........Is there any hope that Garmin will do something about this?
Only if their lawyers tell them to. As a matter of product support or customer relations, doubtful.
adl55
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by adl55 »

danham wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:44 pmDid you do a master reset after updating the firmware?
No. Never had to do one after a firmware update before. Never had to do one after map updates, either. The only time a master reset has been needed over the last ~10 years was to change cell phones or bluetooth headsets. (Specifically, to delete the old phones and headsets because the Zumo would keep "remembering" them and occasionally try to use them.)

But I'll give it a try. Then reload all the user data that matters to me. Then post back that, I'm guessing, it was largely ineffective. (Won't be able to re-create the same navigation errors because they occurred about 600 miles from home. Won't be back there before September. If ever.)
Last edited by adl55 on Fri May 31, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adl55
United States of America

Post by adl55 »

pidjones wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:20 am
adl55 wrote:.........Is there any hope that Garmin will do something about this?
Only if their lawyers tell them to. As a matter of product support or customer relations, doubtful.
Exactly what I suspect. But remain reluctant to attempt hacking into the firmware. Should be an easy fix, though. (Trouble comes with finding what, exactly, needs to be changed.)
danham
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 82 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

adl55 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:59 pm
danham wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:44 pmDid you do a master reset after updating the firmware?
No. Never had to do one after a firmware update before. Never had to do one after map updates, either. The only time a master reset has been needed over the last ~10 years was to change cell phones or bluetooth headsets. (Specifically, to delete the old phones and headsets because the Zumo would keep "remembering" them and occasionally try to use them.)

But I'll give it a try. Then reload all the user data that matters to me. Then post back that, I'm guessing, it was largely ineffective. (Won't be able to re-create the same navigation errors because they occurred about 600 miles from home. Won't be back there before September. If ever.)
Fingers x'd for you. Here's a checklist I (and others) made of items that have to be dealt with after a master reset. It may not cover everything that is important to you, as it is meant as a reminder for my own preferred stuff, so check your settings.

COPY CURRENT.GPX FIRST! then delete current & temp from zumo, remove SD card, eject zumo but turn off once ready to disconnect. Reboot. To restore, plug in and copy current and rename it to Current1.gpx, reboot again and import.

to reset, hold lower right and power on

On reboot: Locale, Fuel Gauge
(NOTE: most of the following need to be done in both bike & car modes)
System: Keyboard Layout - QWERTY
Navigation: Route Pref - Faster; Avoidances - Traffic, Unpaved; Recalc Mode - Prompted
Display: Color Mode - Auto; Brightness (all modes) - 100% (or battery 60%)
Language: Voice - Jack
Map: Detail - High; Data Layout - Standard; Autozoom - On; Map View - 3D; Trip Log - Hide
Vehicle Selection (car & bike modes & turn off nag screen)
Bluetooth: devices, pairing
Security: PIN Lock - On; Safe Mode - Off
Home Location
Restore Favorites - restore current.gpx to zumo & rename it to Current1.gpx & reboot (NOTE: see info at top of this memo).
Restore Routes
Choose displayed data fields with/without route active: Inactive: Left - Heading; Right - Speed. Active: Left - Arrival Time; Right - Speed.
Volume: Master 60%, Nav 100%
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
tt8484
Canada

Post by tt8484 »

GOOD NEWS: zumo 660 fix available !!
installed and checked: it works.
(No details on how they did it.)

World clock app works again, date is june 4th 2019 as expected, timezones display times.
Sunrise/Sunset are sane again.
The 'automatic' checkbox when setting time is back.
The settings/system/about/software versions screen show the "GPS" version is now 3.00 instead of 2.90
Looking at \Garmin\GPX\Current.gpx, its date is today, not the former 1999.
danham
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 82 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

Thank you for the heads up. The update went very quickly, after a minor glitch in which the zumo kept rebooting instead of mounting on my desktop. I worked around that by powering up and letting it acquire satellites before plugging it into the USB port.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
Wingstyle
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times
United States of America

Post by Wingstyle »

Thank you for the heads up tt8484. I just updated and thought it didn't work until I let the 660 acquire sats, then all seems good.

Good job Garmin. It is nice to see Garmin do the right thing for us using older units. Not always the case, but they did well this time.
carolinarider09
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 35 times
United States of America

Post by carolinarider09 »

I just plugged my Gamrin 660 into my computer to upload some GPX files and noticed the fix from Garmin. Will install.

I did also check my Garmin 665 and its date and time are correct so, it only affects our devices it seems if they are totally powered down.
adl55
United States of America

Post by adl55 »

Reset made no difference but revealed some old saved waypoints that needed to be deleted. Tracks still recorded in 1999.

Saw that the update was out there -- something about Chipset M and date errors. Downloaded & installed but won't be checking it out until Thursday.

An aside: Found a couple of old Nuvis while putting some things in the basement. Brought them upstairs, charged them and took them for a ride with the Zumo 660. All tracklogs were dated 1999. Installed firmware updates on the Nuvis (Yes, also the Chipset M date thing.) then saw the one for the Zumo. Probably bring them along for the Thursday test run, too. Just for grins.
adl55
United States of America

Post by adl55 »

The latest firmware update resolved the WNRO issue.