New routing flakiness

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
axil
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

New routing flakiness

Post by axil »

My trusty old Zumo 660 has started exhibiting a strange routing problem. What happens is I can create and load a route using Basecamp (as usual) and select that route on the device without problem. However after riding for a bit, the 660 announces "recalculating" and pops up a window that says something close to "Can not complete route. No roads near destination" and the route is gone. If I go back to Custom Routes and select the same route again, things continue normally for a little while, but then the same behavior repeats. It seems that it might be doing this sometime shortly after I pass the one of the waypoints in the route. It doesn't do this if I just select a destination point, rather than a custom route.

This is new behavior; I am certainly not doing anything different than I have been doing for years and the maps and software are up to date. I tried doing a factory reset yesterday to see if that solves the problem, but I have not had a chance to get out for a ride since.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Is it time to get a replacement? I am thinking about a 396 if anyone has any opinions/suggestions on that unit.

Thanks.
advnzer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times
New Zealand

Re: New routing flakiness

Post by advnzer »

perhaps try the same route using places rather than your waypoints.Maybe the waypoint is off the road?
Wingstyle
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times
United States of America

Post by Wingstyle »

I have had this same issue, but not as often as my 660 have recalculating events even though I have it set to "prompted" in the recalculation mode. I posted on the old forum and got lots of comments like advnzer's; that I may have a point off the road. Plus many others that didn't fix the issue. Best I was able to figure out was that BaseCamp and the 660 don't play nice together. BC has information in the gpx file that the 660 doesn't need and sometimes doesn't understand. This causes issues. The fix from Garmin was to use MapSource. The problem here is that you sometimes get routing issues during route planning with MS and some maps. Garmin's fix for this is to use BaseCamp because they no longer support MS. Hmm, round in circles from Garmin.

It is not your 660 per se. Routes generated with MS do not exhibit the issue. Or at least I have never seen it. You can normally work around the issues. I can't remember for sure what I did to work around the issue you are having. I only had it happen a couple of times. I think I just kept restarting the route to finish those trips. I think I remember someone saying you can export your BC route, open it in MS, recalculate and send to your 660 from MS. I haven't had too many problems lately, but I haven't been riding much lately either.

Sorry I wasn't much help. Hopefully, others will have some new ideas for us to try.
axil
United States of America

Post by axil »

Thanks for the suggestions. I made (the painful) transition from MS to Basecamp many moons ago. I thought Garmin abandoned MS many years ago.

The thing that is so strange is that this is new behavior (different software release, maybe?). A bunch of my trip counters had wrapped and I thought that might have something to do with it, but I reset all the trip data to no avail.

Is there any way to completely reformat the internal storage to return it to its out-of-the-box state? A factory reset doesn't do that.
JD Hog
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by JD Hog »

I had that issue after a map update and fixed it by recalculating the route in BaseCamp and sending it back to the GPS. Other routes saved also had the problem so I did the same for them. This was on my 660 and has not been an issue on my 595 yet.
Jim Diebolt
Zumo XT
2015 Kawasaki 1700 Voyager
Northern California, USA
Wingstyle
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times
United States of America

Post by Wingstyle »

I had that issue after a map update and fixed it by recalculating the route in BaseCamp and sending it back to the GPS.
I always recalculate if I update maps as I use the route again. I name my routes with the map version. I may have missed a couple of times causing the error. I do not recalculate if BC updates. Maybe that is what caused the issue???
Is there any way to completely reformat the internal storage to return it to its out-of-the-box state? A factory reset doesn't do that.
I'm not aware of a reset that will do what you are looking for. You can try deleting all your routes and favorites with "My Data" under "Tools". Also connect your 660 to the computer and delete "current.gpx" and "temp.gpx" files in the "GPX" folder. The unit will regenerate these files when restarted. There is also your track file in the "Archive" folder that can be deleted. I think that will do what you want.
carolinarider09
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 35 times
United States of America

Post by carolinarider09 »

What map version do you have on the 660?

And if you wish to re-install MapSource here is link that might allow you to do that.

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/17-how- ... ource.html

I still use Microsoft Trips and Streets and save the file as a GPX file and let the GPS re-calculate the route. I have a 660.
danham
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 82 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

axil:

You can reformat the unit, but it is very unlikely it will fix this problem and is a last resort, better used when the directory has become corrupted (gibberish file names displayed) or other drastic mess. I've rescued a few Garmin GPSes this way, but it's risky. You have to make a perfect copy of the zumo's files, including any hidden ones, so you can restore afterwards.

Does your problem occur on all routes, some, just one? How many waypoints in the routes that are a problem?

One way I have partially fended off the issue with BC not playing nice with my 660 is to always tell the 660 to recalc the route once it is loaded and then check carefully for any glitches. I also seem to have better luck exporting routes from BC, then copying them to the SD card in my zumo and loading from there. It feels like this gives BC less opportunity to muck with the code, but I may be imagining this.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
axil
United States of America

Post by axil »

I have North America NT 2019.3 (V22.30) on both the PC and the Zumo. I recently relocated, so all the routes that I have for this area have been newly created using this map, all with Basecamp. The routes I have been using have maybe 10 or 20 waypoints.

I did get a chance to go out and do some experiments today. I created a new route with 15 shaping/waypoints. I made a duplicate and renamed copy of the route and uploaded one copy directly to the internal storage of 660 and the other to the SD card, which I then imported. I started the trip with the directly loaded route and got the same behavior I have been seeing; rerouting followed by the error message, generally occurring close to a waypoint. BTW I even shutoff recalculating, but that seemed to do nothing. About half way through, I shifted to the imported route. It recalculated after the next waypoint, but didn't generate an error, and continued along the route. For the rest of the trip, there were no issues. I will experiment some more the next chance I get, but I am thinking if I stick to sending routes to the SD card and then importing them, things might just work.
danham
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 82 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

Very glad to hear you are seeing some potential improvement.

One question: are these routes using the same start and end points? I know my 660 basically refuses to navigate routes if the start and end are too close together, much less identical.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE