Problems with routes

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
Madmary333
United States of America

Problems with routes

Post by Madmary333 »

I had a zumo 550 and loved it, but it was stolen so I got a 595 and hate it. When I started a route in the 550 I would hit go and follow the line and voice prompts
Easy. I'm the 550 if I started a route from a place other then the beginning of the route I would be asked if I wanted to navigate to the beginning of route. A no answer would bring up the line and I could follow it, easy. I would like to do this with the 595 if there is a way. I hate Having to pick fr waypoints, it's a pain. Sometimes if I start after a stop and don't select the next point it has me driving in circles. I really like the old zumo better. Is there anything I can do to make the 595 more le the older zumos. Thanks
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Problems with routes

Post by sussamb »

I'm afraid that is how Trip Planner works. What some do is have a route also saved as a track, that way you can navigate back to the track.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

It is possible to make the 595 to behave something like the 550, but it would require you to use Basecamp to plan your routes.

The trick is to not have any alerting route points (Via Points) other than the start and finish. Make everything else shaping points.
Put your start point some way up the road from where you will actually be starting, and select that when you start. The satnav will take you there, and then (unlike the 550) will start to navigate the route without having to do anything.

If you deviate from the route, as soon as you rejoin the magenta line it will continue navigation from that point. However, in the meantime it may recalculate a route to get you back to the missed point (as did the 550), but turning recalculation off and any traffic data will minimise that risk.

On the 595 screen if you make a route they all end up as Via Points. On the 590 you could change these to shaping points. You can do that on the 595 too, but if you do it shifts the point to another location. Thats why you would need to use Basecamp. Garmin know about this issue (I have told them, and have had replies). Its with the software engineers to fix.

This makes it behave more like the 550, but not exactly the same. (Thank goodness - I seem to remember that the 550 was quite determined to make you visit evey single point. This is much more flexible).

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Fennellg
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by Fennellg »

There are 2 ways to get routes to stay on route. 1. Use Google MY Maps to make a route. Export to KMZ format. It’s now a track. Open Base Camp. Import the KMZ file. Right click and convert it from a track to a route. It stays pinned down. Tracks have a lot of shaping points. There are only 2 waypoints. The start and end. You can add extra in BaseCamp but be advised, if you skip one it will cause trouble, trying to make you go back to the waypoint you skipped. I avoid using them.

Now if you turn off your recalculate on your GPS and you go off route you can simply go towards the purple line and rejoin your route. Just like the old 550.

You can achieve the same thing in BaseCamp but I find Google My Maps easier to use and share / work on routes with others.

rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Fennellg wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:54 pm You can achieve the same thing in BaseCamp but I find Google My Maps easier to use and share / work on routes with others.
The problem I have with Google's mapping is the shaping point limit. My rides are often in the 300-400 mile range and Google simply won't allow enough points to maintain the route.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Fennellg
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by Fennellg »

I just made a route that was 3000 miles 1 week long. I did not run out of points. A work around is to bend the route by grabbing it by one of the white points and shape it. Use the way points sparingly. With that said I am going to use one map per day next time I plan one. It is to easy to mess up your route by accident. I Seem to always be using the reverse what I just did button. Just goes to show you there is no perfect software to do this. I am directionality challenged. GPS s and spell check make me whole. :)
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Whatever works, right? To each his own. I'm a Base Camp guy. Very few problems for me, no extra workarounds necessary and I've never run out of points. I prefer shaping points to way points- I find them easier to work with and skip plus I'm not an audio guy so I don't need announcing. Typical routes for me have 2 way points- start & finish- and the rest are shaping. And I use lots of shaping points, no sparingly usage here! When I decide on the route I do not want the device recalculating or doing something else equally stupid. Just follow my predetermined route, that's all. A wise man helped me way back by asking, "if you remove any one point, does your route get recalculated? If it does you're not using enough points." I use lots now. One of my many basic problems was not enough routing points so the route seemed to randomly change on its own. Using more points allows me to now rarely if ever "reverse what I just did".

Anyway, on my longer trips I make an overall route so I can see the big picture but I use the DIVIDE function to have individual day maps labeled just that- Day 1, Day 2, etc. There's a couple things I then do if you'd like to know. That way I can veer off today if I feel like it and then tomorrow morning the next route starts where it originally was and the 595 will route me there to start the route for the day. Other than a place to sleep and a route to get there, I plan little else. And even a motel isn't a permanent choice, I'll sometimes sleep elsewhere so it's important to me to have daily maps to get back on track with my route.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A