Turn off audio alert for Via-Points?

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
Rip
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Turn off audio alert for Via-Points?

Post by Rip »

Is it possible to turn off audio alerts for Via-Points either in the Zumo 595 device or in Basecamp? I need to have Via-Points in my GPX files for navigation purposes (such as as getting a bit off track by accident and being able to navigate back on track) but having the constant audio alerts every few miles mutes my intercom conversations while the alert is being read out which is really annoying.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Turn off audio alert for Via-Points?

Post by sussamb »

Converting them to shaping points will stop them alerting, but is there a reason why you don't want that?
Rip
Great Britain

Post by Rip »

There is a reason yes, when you go off route by accident the satnav is much happier finding its way back because it navigates to the nearest via point, it will just ignore shaping points.
Breezly
Subscriber
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by Breezly »

Yes many folks experience this behaviour as a limitation. There are a couple of ways of dealing with it.

Personally, for the most part, I don't have the GPS route me back to the route. I typically have relatively few viapoints in my routes. I set Recalculate to off, will zoom out and manually route myself back to the original route. In rare instances I'll add a new viapoint to the route on the GPS at the location where I want to rejoin the original route. Another option is to change one of the routes already existing shaping points to a viapoint on the GPS itself.

With experience using the 590/595 routing I think many folks develop a good strategy of the right number and mixture of viapoints and shaping points that works best for them with their particular routing and touring practices.
Learn Garmin Basecamp with New England Riders Tutorial:
https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/
Breezly
Subscriber
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by Breezly »

Yes many folks experience this behaviour as a limitation. There are a couple of ways of dealing with it.

Personally, for the most part, I don't have the GPS route me back to the route. I typically have relatively few viapoints in my routes. I set Recalculate to off, will zoom out and manually route myself back to the original route. In rare instances I'll add a new viapoint to the route on the GPS at the location where I want to rejoin the original route. Another option is to change one of the routes already existing shaping points to a viapoint on the GPS itself.

With experience using the 590/595 routing I think many folks develop a good strategy of the right number and mixture of viapoints and shaping points that works best for them with their particular routing and touring practices.
Learn Garmin Basecamp with New England Riders Tutorial:
https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/
Rip
Great Britain

Post by Rip »

Breezly wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:07 pm Yes many folks experience this behaviour as a limitation. There are a couple of ways of dealing with it.

That makes sense thank you.
Rip
Great Britain

Post by Rip »

I'll do my next route with no via-points and recalculation off and see how I get on.