Advanced Weather and weather warnings

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
mbirth

Advanced Weather and weather warnings

Post by mbirth »

Somewhere in the manual or on the website about the zumo I've read about weather warnings.
Manual wrote: Before you can use this feature, you must purchase Advanced Weather service using Smartphone Link.

While you are traveling with your device, weather alerts may appear on the map.
Did somebody in Europe ever witnessed one? Since this is a motorcycle unit, I'd have thought for it to warn about rain clouds and stuff. (Since you get weather radar images with the subscription.) But from the sparse information I could gather, those warnings are more about severe storms and similar catastrophic conditions. (Here is a blog post from a nuvi user with some screenshots of how it looks like on their unit.)

So any details about this feature on the zumo are welcome.
biz
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: Advanced Weather and weather warnings

Post by biz »

I've certainly never seen any alerts like that, and the "Advanced Weather" isn't available in SmartPhone Link for me. I do use the weather radar and other weather features, but it was standard with the unit, not a paid extra.
mbirth

Post by mbirth »

biz wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:48 am ...and the "Advanced Weather" isn't available in SmartPhone Link for me. I do use the weather radar and other weather features, but it was standard with the unit, not a paid extra.
Interesting! For me, my zumo always nagged me about buying the "subscription" (which actually seems to be a one-time fee) when trying to access the radar images or road status. After buying, I was able to use these features but also never saw any warning about weather.

There was another option available to "subscribe" to: Advanced Parking (live free capacities of parking garages) - but that doesn't show up in my Smartphone Link anymore.
biz
Great Britain

Post by biz »

Actually, it seems I must have subscribed to Advanced Weather (Europe). I seem to recall that it was a one-off payment that I made ages ago. "Dynamic Off-Street Parking" is available for subscription for me (I don't), Safety cameras (I do), "PhotoLive (Europe)" (only for Scandinavia, so obviously I don't). Live traffic seems to have disappeared as an option too. (Options for purchase in Smartphone Link seem to differ a bit from those in Garmin Express?)
biz
Great Britain

Post by biz »

And having subscribed, I've used the Zumo in US, Canada, Australia, and about 40 countries in Europe, including Russia - I've never seen such a warning!