POI loader

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: POI loader

Post by sussamb »

patrickg450 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:11 pm I have not seen or read any directions oh how to make a file like that in the POI application.

https://support.garmin.com/en-CA/?faq=l ... 3eaO9vHYp6

The above is all I have read, how do to make a file IN POI loader? I have attached a SNIP of the software and the application I am using.
You need to use this part of the link you posted

https://support.garmin.com/en-CA/?faq=T ... H7hQQyEet7

I'll repeat myself, if you want POIs on your device you need to create a .gpi file using POI Loader, or alternatively download POI files from sites that provide them.
patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

sussamb wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:16 am
patrickg450 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:11 pm I have not seen or read any directions oh how to make a file like that in the POI application.

https://support.garmin.com/en-CA/?faq=l ... 3eaO9vHYp6

The above is all I have read, how do to make a file IN POI loader? I have attached a SNIP of the software and the application I am using.
You need to use this part of the link you posted

I'll repeat myself, if you want POIs on your device you need to create a .gpi file using POI Loader, or alternatively download POI files from sites that provide them.
I have POIs on my device. I loaded them with the POI loader. I have followed these links and none of them talk about a ".gpi file" You have referenced ".gpi file" quite a few times. BaseCamp makes the file a .GPX when I export it, just like the directions say:

Capture 1.PNG
Capture 1.PNG (113.43 KiB) Viewed 2249 times
The POI loads the .GPX file and I have them on my GPS as that is where I am saving them to.

If I save them to my computer, then the POI loader makes the file a .GPI. But then what? I tried to import the .gpi file into BC. But it wont recognize it.

What is the difference from GPX and GPI?
Other than being able to load the GPI file what good is it? How can I view it?
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

I'm not sure why you're struggling with this, let me try to explain.

Garmin POI files end in .gpi, Favourites (or saved places on some devices) end in .gpx. POI files normally are in the POI folder on your device, Favourites in the GPX folder.

To navigate to them on the device you either do a Where to, Favourites or a Where to, Custom POIs although depending on the device there may be some steps in between the Where to and either Favourites or Custom POIs.

BaseCamp can import gpx files but not POI files, however POI files can be viewed in BaseCamp via the Maps menu in the toolbar, you'll see Manage Custom POIs at the bottom, which will be greyed out unless you have a device loaded with Custom POIs attached.

You can obtain Custom POIs in numerous ways. Some folks create them and you simply download the .gpi file and place it in the POI folder on your device. You can create your own by following the wizard in POI loader. When you 'load' a gpx file from BaseCamp into POI loader it creates a .gpi file from your BaseCamp file or indeed any other gpx file.

POI files are useful in that they can contain many more locations than the maximum number of favourites you can have on your device. The downside is once they are created you can't add to them without creating a new .gpi file.
patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

sussamb wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:33 pm
BaseCamp can import gpx files but not POI files, however POI files can be viewed in BaseCamp via the Maps menu in the toolbar, you'll see Manage Custom POIs at the bottom, which will be greyed out unless you have a device loaded with Custom POIs attached.

So I connected my 595, clicked on the "Manage Custom POIs" what is suppose to happen?
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

You will see the .gpi files you've installed to your device, if you have done so. You can then select them so they show on the BaseCamp map and they are also searchable in the search box top right.
patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

patrickg450 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:02 am Well I have made some progress, but it seems to be taking a bit more time that I expected. I got a few "TEST" one to work..... here is a screen shot of my BC.

Capture.PNG
Why is there 2 ICONS? I am using the larger 48x48 ones so I can see them on my 595 (HAMBURGER). The default one is the knife and fork in BC, then under the NOTES tab I added the larger ICON.

SO why am I seeing 2?

There was some confusion and I wanted to get back to a question I asked earlier:

Referencing the above post, does it make sense that I am seeing these 2 icons?

I tried to upload the .GPI file that i made, but the site wont recognize it.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Really difficult to say from just that but perhaps one is the POI and the other the waypoint you created the POI from?