Test voices

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
Spanner1718
Great Britain

Test voices

Post by Spanner1718 »

Hi everyone have a silly question, is there a way of trying the voices on the unit without riding like sitting at home with earpiece on?
yorky
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: Test voices

Post by yorky »

Hi Spanner,
Firstly I will say that I am not really IT savvy, and what I say may be totally incorrect, BUT, I'm assuming you are referring to voice directions.
I don't know if you can listen to them without the unit (whichever it may be) in the cradle but the one thing I have recently learned, with LOTS of help from another member of this forum, is that only "Serena" will actually give you the correct turn by turn voice commands.
The others simply give generic instructions, and every via point is classed as your destination, which is really annoying, (put politely).
My unit is the 590.
Hope that helps :)
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Just set your device into simulation mode and run a route.
Breezly
Subscriber
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by Breezly »

Just to clarify what I think Yorky is pointing out, newer Garmin gps's have the ability to use voices with what Garmin refers to as Real Directions (TTS3 format). Real Direction voices will not only speak street names but also landmarks. So what you might hear from the older voices would be "In 500m turn right on Elm St." and the Real Directions voice might be "Be in the right lane and in 500m turn right at the traffic lignt". In some cases it might be something like "In 500m turn right at the Starbuck's".

There are actually seven English language TTS3 voices with Real Directions: Serena & Daniel (British), Jack & Samantha (American), Karen & Lee (Australian) and Sangeeta (Indian). There are more TTS3 voices in other languages too.
Learn Garmin Basecamp with New England Riders Tutorial:
https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/
Spanner1718
Great Britain

Post by Spanner1718 »

Thanks guys I’ll try it out.