waypoints

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
Steve W
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times
Canada

Re: waypoints

Post by Steve W »

patrickg450 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:15 pm Are you using this or did you hear about it? I ask as it it looking for GPX files during the install and I navigated to the ALL DATA in BC and it did not like that.
Thanks
I use it (POI loader) With my BMW Nav 5 on a Mac. I've created a POI folder in BC that contains lists for different situations. I choose the list I need and export it as a .gpx file to my desktop. I then use POI loader to transfer the file. This way I can edit each file/list in BC as needed. The one big drawback to POI loader is that it overwrites the file in the GPS with every use so You can't just keep adding new POIs. The other aspect of the POI is that you can assign it a "Proximity Alert" of a user set distance. When enabled the POI will now alert you when you are within a user set distance from the POI.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 356 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

You can add files without deleting previous POI files, just rename the gpi file each time.
patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

ok guys...........thanks.

So I ran the POI SW after I did the "export" like stated. The SW said that I added 46 POIs to my unit, I tuned it on but did not see any importing or stuff like that. Do they come up automatically? Do I need to import them? What is best?
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

They don't need to be imported. You can check they are there by going to Where to, Categories, Custom POIs
patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

OK I was out of town for work the past few days. I will tinker with this the next day or so and see what I can come up with.

Where will I find them (in the GPS) if I am looking for them? or will they just pop up when I come to them as I am driving?
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Where I mentioned above. They should just pop up
patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

ok, thanks. I will make a few "test" ones here close to home and give it a try. Can you select one (in GPS) and navigate to it?
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Yes, again Where to, Categories, Custom POIs then select the one you want.
patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

did not work, I made five waypoints and kept them in a separate file in BC. I then exported them to a Garmin folder on my desktop. I then used the Garmin POI tool to find them, and I saved them to my GPS. The GPS took a minute or so to wake up and connect to the PC, but it sure made all the noises and looked like it transferred the data.

Do I have to import them like I do my tracks? I see them in the file in BC but cannot find them in my GPS.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Is there a newly created file with a .gpi extension in the POI folder on your device?