waypoints

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
patrickg450
United States of America

waypoints

Post by patrickg450 »

I am having some frustration trying to see WAYPOINTS when I am using my 595 on the motorbike. I went from a Garmin 60CSX using Mapsource to a Zumo 595 and BC......so I am assuming this is a learning curve.

On my old unit I would have like 30 or 40 waypoints along my track. Stuff like, "fuel cut off" or "cave 2 miles".....lots of cool stuff. That way when I was riding along I could see the waypoint pop up, read it and decide it I want to veer off track or not. I have heard to use ROUTEs and not tracks. So far I dont like using ROUTEs, I am a tracks user, it just fits me better, I like to follow lines and NOT have the GPS talk to me or POP ups. As I ride I like to follow the line and if I veer off the track it is OK I will navigate back to it. I may make a WAYPOINT (in BC before I load it to the unit) for a fuel stop, or a camping spot. I want them to pop up on the screen as I ride up to them. I made a few in a practive ROUTE but after I passed them they went away.

OK so here the 2 scenarios:

I am riding along and see a point of interest I want to keep. What do I do on my GPS to mark or keep that place?

or

I am in BC at my desk and making a route/track. I mark the place with the red flag and type up "CAVE" or "SCENIC VIEW" then if I want to send it/keep it in my device. What do I need to do AFTER I send my tracks/routes to my unit?

So how in the hell do I have all my cool waypoints from my old unit pop up on my 595? What the hell am i doing wrong here?
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Re: waypoints

Post by rbentnail »

patrickg450 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:40 pm I am having some frustration trying to see WAYPOINTS when I am using my 595 on the motorbike. I went from a Garmin 60CSX using Mapsource to a Zumo 595 and BC......so I am assuming this is a learning curve.

On my old unit I would have like 30 or 40 waypoints along my track. Stuff like, "fuel cut off" or "cave 2 miles".....lots of cool stuff. That way when I was riding along I could see the waypoint pop up, read it and decide it I want to veer off track or not. I have heard to use ROUTEs and not tracks. So far I dont like using ROUTEs, I am a tracks user, it just fits me better, I like to follow lines and NOT have the GPS talk to me or POP ups. As I ride I like to follow the line and if I veer off the track it is OK I will navigate back to it. I may make a WAYPOINT (in BC before I load it to the unit) for a fuel stop, or a camping spot. I want them to pop up on the screen as I ride up to them. I made a few in a practive ROUTE but after I passed them they went away.

OK so here the 2 scenarios:

I am riding along and see a point of interest I want to keep. What do I do on my GPS to mark or keep that place?

or

I am in BC at my desk and making a route/track. I mark the place with the red flag and type up "CAVE" or "SCENIC VIEW" then if I want to send it/keep it in my device. What do I need to do AFTER I send my tracks/routes to my unit?

So how in the hell do I have all my cool waypoints from my old unit pop up on my 595? What the hell am i doing wrong here?
Some of your questions I have no answers. But .....

Riding along, you see something and want to save the location. Simply touch the vehicle icon on the screen and enter desired info. It will be saved as a Saved Place so give it a sensible name you can remember.

If your "red flag" waypoint is part of your route it will be transferred as part of the route and saved as a Saved Place. To transfer it separately, as just a point, highlight it in the lower left list box and transfer just it. I never do it this way however as I never use the transfer from the menu. I highlight, click and hold to drag and drop to my User Memory. NOT copy. NOT cut. NOT Duplicate. And NOT paste. You will get undesired results if you use any of those commands. DRAG AND DROP or TRANSFER after highlighting. I cannot stress this enough!!
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

man I have been fighting this for a while.......

I get what you are saying when riding a long. I am a moto guy as well, Super Tenere. I have SOOOOO many waypoints for "food cut off" or camping spot, overlook....it goes on and on.

How can I get these old points that I want to keep into my new unit?
patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

I was told I had to make them (in my GPS) as FAVs? like import them? IDK.............
Steve W
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times
Canada

Post by Steve W »

There is a way to do what you guys need, custom POI files and Garmin POI loader. The following two links should get you started. The Mac version appears to be current, not sure on the windows version.

https://support.garmin.com/en-CA/?faq=l ... 3eaO9vHYp6

https://support.garmin.com/en-CA/?faq=5 ... 7CzMmytjs6
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

patrickg450 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:50 am How can I get these old points that I want to keep into my new unit?
Using BaseCamp you should be able to import the locations from your old GPS then send them to your new one.

If you don't and want to use MapSource it won't see your Zumo unless you switch it to mass storage mode.
patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

sussamb wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:50 am
patrickg450 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:50 am How can I get these old points that I want to keep into my new unit?
Using BaseCamp you should be able to import the locations from your old GPS then send them to your new one.

If you don't and want to use MapSource it won't see your Zumo unless you switch it to mass storage mode.

I have them all in BC. It took me many of hours but I organized all my tracks into BC. For example: I have a folder for each state. Arkansas(AR), in that folder of BC I have a few sub folders, like NW AR and Brock Creek. Those each have several lists and on each list is 3 or 4 tracks with waypoints.

When I plan a ride through AR (East to West) I go over these folders and make a new one. With the date or name of a ride, I review tracks and pick out ones I want to re-ride. Yes I follow the line as opposed to routes. The waypoints are on my tracks in BC but they do not show up when I am riding and looking down at the BLUE line (tracks)........

So I am wanting to make these existing waypoints appear or "popup" when come to them on my GPS.
patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

Steve W wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:26 am There is a way to do what you guys need, custom POI files and Garmin POI loader. The following two links should get you started. The Mac version appears to be current, not sure on the windows version.

https://support.garmin.com/en-CA/?faq=l ... 3eaO9vHYp6

https://support.garmin.com/en-CA/?faq=5 ... 7CzMmytjs6

I have a windows PC, did a quick read and this looks good so far. I will give it a try.

Are you using this or did you hear about it? I ask as it it looking for GPX files during the install and I navigated to the ALL DATA in BC and it did not like that.

Thanks
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

You'll need to export the waypoints to a folder as a gpx file then point POI loader at that location, not BaseCamp AllData.gdb
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

patrickg450 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:11 pm So I am wanting to make these existing waypoints appear or "popup" when come to them on my GPS.
As well as exporting the track/route you need to export the waypoints also, that way they should show up.