Zumo 595 Map Location

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
BillL
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Zumo 595 Map Location

Post by BillL »

I posted elsewhere recently regarding “route corruption” when using my Zumo 550 and work done in BaseCamp.

I have since decided to retire the 550 and bought a 595LM.

One of the things I learned from this community, the “old one”, was how to have the map reside on the SD card and free up internal memory for tracks and gpx data files exported from BaseCamp.

I am just getting started with the 595. Added a microSD card. The 595 looks just like the 550 when connected to the Mac. 2 volumes, the Zumo and then the SD card.

Will the 595 behave the same way as the 550 with respect to a supplemental map only? The 595 appears to be about and 8gB device with about 1 gB free. I cannot find any entry in the directories that appears to be the map image file. Is it being hidden from the operating system?

I would like to operate with maps only installed on the SD card, freeing up the 595 internal memory for gpx files, favorites and routes and tracks. I lost a lot of trip history on the 550 in the early days before I learned of the cramped internal memory and not using SD card. I’d like to continue running that way, not worrying about memory over runs and the device locking up, requiring hard reset and loss of track data.

I have downloaded the BaseCamp tutorials developed by one of the members here. I’ve begun to study those.

Any help on the map location matter will be appreciated. I have a lot of notes on the process gathered over the life lived with the 550. Would the same process apply here if I can locate the map files?

Thank you
Bill
2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Re: Zumo 595 Map Location

Post by rbentnail »

Hi Bill.

I use Win10 but nonetheless, I do it completely opposite from what you are asking.

I use the internal memory for maps, tracks, etc. and the SD card for downloaded routes, saved places, music, etc. So far I've not had a problem. Mine is a 64gb Sd card.

One of the reasons I do it this way is so I have all "my data" on cards and can swap at will depending on where I'm riding. Plus sharing a route is easy with it on a card.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
BillL
United States of America

Post by BillL »

Russ,

Thank you for the reply.

One of the "advantages" to my way of thinking about it is to be able to swap SD cards and have another continent available for use. North America versus Europe. Once installed, no muss, no fuss.

My loss of history in the early days was extremely disappointing. That was a "trip of a lifetime" with youngest son through Colorado. Re-visiting all of the places I visited on family vacations when I growing up.

To me, strong reason to leave internal memory alone and have maps reside on the card.

Bill
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

BillL wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:13 pm Will the 595 behave the same way as the 550 with respect to a supplemental map only? The 595 appears to be about and 8gB device with about 1 gB free. I cannot find any entry in the directories that appears to be the map image file. Is it being hidden from the operating system?
Yes, the map is hidden in a folder named .system, you need to get Windows to show hidden and system files (2 settings). Maps can be moved to a sd card but unless you're seriously short of space I wouldn't bother. If you do they need to be in a folder named Garmin and you need the three gmapprom files (.img, .unl and .gma)
BillL
United States of America

Post by BillL »

sussamb wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:07 am
BillL wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:13 pm Will the 595 behave the same way as the 550 with respect to a supplemental map only? The 595 appears to be about and 8gB device with about 1 gB free. I cannot find any entry in the directories that appears to be the map image file. Is it being hidden from the operating system?
Yes, the map is hidden in a folder named .system, you need to get Windows to show hidden and system files (2 settings). Maps can be moved to a sd card but unless you're seriously short of space I wouldn't bother. If you do they need to be in a folder named Garmin and you need the three gmapprom files (.img, .unl and .gma)
Thanks for that.

The naming convention for the map on the SD card in the 550 is "gmapsupp.img" does that hold true on the 595?

Bill
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

No, later devices can use any name you wish, but I suggest you simply use the name allocated to it, which will be gmapprom. With 1 Gb free though I'd be tempted to leave 'as is'.

Note this doesn't prevent you from having another continent on a sd card that you swap in when needed, your device will cope with both maps on the device and on a card.
BillL
United States of America

Post by BillL »

sussamb wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:59 pm No, later devices can use any name you wish, but I suggest you simply use the name allocated to it, which will be gmapprom. With 1 Gb free though I'd be tempted to leave 'as is'.

Note this doesn't prevent you from having another continent on a sd card that you swap in when needed, your device will cope with both maps on the device and on a card.
Thanks for that.

I did buy Europe a couple years ago. That is currently on SD card in the 550. Can that be re-installed to a card in the 595?

Bill
Breezly
Subscriber
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by Breezly »

If you bought a the map from Garmin on an sd card it is locked to that card and cannot be moved to another card. Was it on an sd card or a micro sd card with an adapter?
Learn Garmin Basecamp with New England Riders Tutorial:
https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/
BillL
United States of America

Post by BillL »

Breezly wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:43 am If you bought a the map from Garmin on an sd card it is locked to that card and cannot be moved to another card. Was it on an sd card or a micro sd card with an adapter?
No, not on a card. Delivery was from Garmin via download with Gamin Express. The map is City Navigator Europe NT. It was downloaded to an SD card. I also have an .img disk image file on the Mac that I mount for BaseCamp to use. I think I used the Mac's Disk Utility program to duplicate the card created with Garmin Express. I don't remember for sure if it was a clone or a second download from Garmin.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Then it'll be locked to the device, so it won't work in your new Zumo I'm afraid.