zumo 596 next turn not showing on gpx routes?

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
tramp
Has liked: 1 time

zumo 596 next turn not showing on gpx routes?

Post by tramp »

okay im new to the zumo 595lm previuosly always had nuvi models...ive mastered the custom gpx routes showing correctly :lol: with a huge thanks to the uk guy who did the helpful file that Garmin chose to copyright :twisted: ..

anyway today i had a custom gpx road route installed , navigation was set at automotive . went from home to start of route okay and then the route purple line appeared as normal , But it dosent say or show distanvce to next turn or even give directions at junctions or roundabouts..just shows the purple line and says proced to " first waypoint`...i was also running a garmin oregon 600 with citynavigator installed and same route..it gave distance and turn directions as required over the whole 200mls route :D

input please as im off to europe with custom gpx road routes for 2000mls ....im used to following tracks on the oregon ..

cheers
Breezly
Subscriber
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Re: zumo 596 next turn not showing on gpx routes?

Post by Breezly »

From what you described it seems like you did not pass through the first point. If you bypass any via point the GPS will want you to go back to it, unless you use the skip via point function.
Learn Garmin Basecamp with New England Riders Tutorial:
https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

What you describe sounds odd, and [mention]Breezly[/mention]'s suggestion may well be correct. But it still sounds odd. Im thinking that what you thought you had done, isn't actually what happened.

For example - you said that you went to the start of the route, but it is asking you to go to the first 'Waypoint' . It sounds to me that it hasn't actually started navigating the route and is still trying to get you to the start. If so, the magenta line that you can see is part of the route, but not the section that it is trying to navigate.

This behaviour is typical of a route that has been started where you think the car is, but have plotted the point 100m Up the road in the wrong direction. (Eg the car is at number 50, the route heads off towards number 2, but the start point is plotted at number 60). Or the point is plotted accurately, but the satnav hasn't been able to calculate your position precisely enough when you started out - Ford cars with heated windscreen elements can result in a delay in getting a good satellite fix on occasions, I have found. I always recommend placing the start of a route at a place somewhere up the road at a point that you will definitely pass through.

Incidentally - is 'the uk guy who did the helpful file that Garmin chose to copyright' referring to my 'Zumo 590 - what the manuals don't tell' document posted on this forum ? If so, thanks for the comment, but the copyright issues weren't to do with Garmin. It was to do with people infringing my copyright!

I published the docs to help people, and made them free for anyone to use for their own purpose. There have been a couple of times when someone has re-published the document on other forums, without permission, and gaining credit/kudos by association. So i have tackled the websites concerned, and am looking at a better way of publishing it. I had it available on Issuu, but readers were complaining that it wasn't very useable. I am also working at bringing it in line with the 595 and making the entire thing a bit more succinct. As soon as I have a better solution, I will post a new link.

In the meantime, if anyone wants a copy, feel free to send me a private message with your email address, and I will send you one .- for personal use only.

If it wasn't referring to my document, I am going to feel like a right idiot !

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Hati
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times
Australia

Post by Hati »

jfheath wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:50 pm In the meantime, if anyone wants a copy, feel free to send me a private message with your email address, and I will send you one .- for personal use only.
Which document is this? Cannot PM yet due to post count... I have your write-up for the BT connection sequence.

Thank you, by the way, for that and the videos you made. In the 4 years I have the 595, never bothered with Basecamp until these videos made sense of the chaos Garmin created with naming. Well done indeed.
tramp

Post by tramp »

jfheath...

yep cheers for the very useful file...soz i got my nickers in a twist over whos copy right it was :oops: ..

anyway ...this is what happened...I had the route plotted about 1/4 miles from my house..the zumo did as you suggested did a new route to my start point which I rode through maybe something flashed up on screen as I was watching the oregon,zumo and the bikes dash so got kinda confused and flustered at the same time :o :oops: ...

im going to do a short 3km gpx route today and see what happens...as bit of feedback for folks...I turned the 595 off whilst riding then after 100mls I turned it back on , it showed my position on the route perfectly but again no directions . BUt at least I know that if i stopped for a coffe and pee the 595 wouldnt direct me all the way back to begining lol..

trial and error in short steps before running eh :lol: :D
tramp

Post by tramp »

okay update....I deleted the garmin spain topo v5 pro and the free garmin opensource mapping so just the citynavigator europe 2020...

and blow me down with a feather the postcode search worked and the satnav routes did the correct thing in talk and show turn directions :lol: ..im happy bunny but not sure why the garmin topo map or the opensource mapping would upset the zumo 595///never mind but sure to help someone.

its great turned in portrait mode as the written directions are real clear..
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

OK, if by chance (?) you had one of those other maps selected that would explain the issue, you really need to select only one map at a time. You can have many loaded but only select one.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

tramp wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:20 am anyway ...this is what happened...I had the route plotted about 1/4 miles from my house..the zumo did as you suggested did a new route to my start point which I rode through maybe something flashed up on screen as I was watching the oregon,zumo and the bikes dash so got kinda confused and flustered at the same time :o :oops: ...
That was probably alerting you to the fact that it had finished navigating you to your start point and was now beginning to navigate the route you had stored
tramp wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:20 am im going to do a short 3km gpx route today and see what happens...as bit of feedback for folks...I turned the 595 off whilst riding then after 100mls I turned it back on , it showed my position on the route perfectly but again no directions . BUt at least I know that if i stopped for a coffe and pee the 595 wouldnt direct me all the way back to begining lol..
The satnav will retain your current route if it is turned off. It will know where you are and what the route is, but it cannot know whether you have visited the intermediate points. If you have passed any Via points (routing points that alert on arrival), it will try to take you back to the first of them when you turn the Zumo back on.

To explain this without getting too involved, I need to know how you get what you called a gpx route into the Zumo, and how you created it.

--------

Regarding the maps - [mention]sussamb[/mention] is absolutely correct - if you have different maps loaded into the satnav, then it gets confused if two maps for the same area are active. (Ticked). Note that the Euro 2020.20 maps consist of two areas, north and south. Its ok to have both of these areas selected at the same time.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

jfheath wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:51 am Regarding the maps - @sussamb is absolutely correct - if you have different maps loaded into the satnav, then it gets confused if two maps for the same area are active. (Ticked). Note that the Euro 2020.20 maps consist of two areas, north and south. Its ok to have both of these areas selected at the same time.
I could have been more specific there, you shouldn't have more than one map selected if they cover the same area, The Garmin CN EU North and South maps don't conflict as they don't cover the same area.

I fell foul of this rule myself when I updated my software before a trip from UK to France. Satnav was playing up in UK, not giving me proper directions, ETAs etc so was planning to master reset it on arrival at my French destination but a few miles outside Calais it started working again. Though no more of it until I returned to UK when it started acting up again. Then had the lightbulb moment, checked the selected maps to find the update had selected both my CN map and a topo map of UK that I so rarely use I'd forgotten it was installed. Deselecting it and all was well again.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I have only just come across the symptoms. I realised that it wasn't sensible to have two maps of the same area ticked, so I never did it - until I recently installed the Open Source Maps for the UK, and forgot to untick the others. I like those Open Source maps - so much more detail, but timings are wrong and speed limit information is non existent - so I keep both on the Zumo - which is currently a 595.