Memory Card

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
patrickg450
United States of America

Memory Card

Post by patrickg450 »

Hey there,

I have new to me problem that I just cant seem to grasp...

I just got a new PC and loaded BC on to it, I have been transferring all my info from the old PC to the new one. My guess it is has always been doing this but I did not notice on the old PC. When I transfer my files, tracks, waypoints etc......to my 595. It goes to internal storage and NOT the memory card. In fact nothing seems to be on the memory card. Everything is on the internal memory.

Why is that? I did buy this unit used and it came with the memory card in it (I believe, cant remember now). Like I said new PC so I am getting everything over and when BC starts up with the unit hooked up via USB I get the pop up for "device Info" and there I can see the memory card but I cant make any changes to it.

Thoughts?
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 354 times
Great Britain

Re: Memory Card

Post by sussamb »

You should be able to send stuff to the memory card but why would you? Better to send it direct to your device.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

I disagree with the above, I use nothing but the memory card for my files. The way I do it it is not by transferring files (device/send to device) to the zumo but simply drag and drop them to the user memory.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

well, why would they put the ability to have a memory card in there if there is no use for it? My unit has 1.35 gig left of usable space, the 28 gig on the memory card is totally empty.

So do you drag it and drop it like in windows or in BC?
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

That free space is ample for tracks, routes etc. The card is there for music and maps. That's how most use it anyway, it's not written in stone :D
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

patrickg450 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:00 pm well, why would they put the ability to have a memory card in there if there is no use for it? My unit has 1.35 gig left of usable space, the 28 gig on the memory card is totally empty.

So do you drag it and drop it like in windows or in BC?
Just like in Windows but in Base Camp. I learned from older gps devices that as the map size grows and grows I need all the internal memory just for that so I use the SD card for music, routes, waypoints, etc. Plus I'm old, meaning leery of delving "deep" into a device's memory to delete old routes, etc. "Keep It Simple" is my motto. Deleting from an SD card is cheap if I screw it up, a new 595 not so much. I'm sure it's just me and others are shaking their heads at my ignorance but I don't care. It's simple and it works, that's what matters to me.

When you plug in your device, BC (and maybe Garmin Express) will do their thing. I always open BC first, let it stabilize, then plug in my gps device. It may take several minutes so be patient. After a while your device and memory card will show up on the left as pictured below. Open the list above this you want to get the route from, highlight the route below this and drag and drop to the User Data line. You can do the same with waypoints you've made, POI's, etc. Multiple routes can be dragged at the same time but I limit the number to 2 or 3 at a time. I did not have to create any folders or do anything else, the 595 did everything that needed to be done, including format the new card when inserted. Now eject your device from the computer (this may or may not show up, depends on computer settings) and import the route to the device with Trip Planner/Wrench Tool/Import/Route Name. Waypoints should show up under Where To/Saved.
Base Camp 1.JPG
Base Camp 1.JPG (17.79 KiB) Viewed 3162 times
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

So I am an old Mpasource guy.......I still have tracks with less than 500 points on them.

So my view is just like yours in the picture you provided. I went up to my TN folder and copied a file. Then went down to the user folder, opened it up and did a right click for paste.

Took GPS off my PC.....poof! No tracks are on my unit. What did I miss? Is there a setting to make the 595 see the memory card?

(took a few minutes to play with the darn thing)

I found a setting where I have to "import" them. Does that make sense?
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Yes, you need to import them.
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

patrickg450 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:22 pm So I am an old Mpasource guy.......I still have tracks with less than 500 points on them.

So my view is just like yours in the picture you provided. I went up to my TN folder and copied a file. Then went down to the user folder, opened it up and did a right click for paste.

Took GPS off my PC.....poof! No tracks are on my unit. What did I miss? Is there a setting to make the 595 see the memory card?

(took a few minutes to play with the darn thing)

I found a setting where I have to "import" them. Does that make sense?
First, I can't help with TRACKS with or for anything. I rarely use them and then only to retrace where I went so I can accurately make a ROUTE. I use ROUTES. Terminology is extremely important, we need to be talking about the same things. A track is not a route.

Base Camp's COPY command is not the same as drag and drop. Plus Base Camp's COPY and DUPLICATE commands are two different things. Your computer's COPY & PASTE is something different still. My 595 sometimes does very strange things with files when something other than DRAG & DROP is done. I have learned to do nothing other than drag & drop. The drag & drop does not MOVE the file, it COPIES the file without the random goofiness of other commands.

There is no setting for the 595 to "see" the memory card. Once you place the file onto the card (User Memory) then yes, you now have to import the file to the device. Disconnect the device from the computer. Wait. Wait. Wait. Sometimes the 595 will start on it's own, other times you have to push the power button to start it. [At this point it is also very helpful to wait further if you do not have satellite signals, like me working on this stuff in my basement. If you don't have signals then the device will interrupt you later with a "no signal, want to go to simulation mode" type of message while you are trying to work. It's best to fetch another cup of coffee or go pee until the message pops up THEN go to work with it. Trust me, wait for it if needed.] Now, whichever way you get there- either Where To/Trip Planner/Wrench or Apps/Trip Planner/Wrench, you now need to Import the file to the device. When you do the file should be as you see it on your computer screen.

If you have DRAG & DROPPED waypoints individually, i.e., maybe a hotel or restaurant, sometimes you have to import them too. Go to Where To/Saved/Hamburger button/Import.

Now when you are done using the route, you can do the same wrench icon and delete the route. This is where I find the huge advantage of using the SD card. The route will be removed from the device internal memory but it will always be available to re-import from the card. So for me it makes file management on the device so much simpler particularly on multi-day trips. Delete the old, import the new. Later, I delete my all vacation trip routes on the device and sometime later when I connect to Base Camp I delete them from the User Memory. I leave my "routine" routes, the ones for leisurely evening rides or weekend RTE routes on the card and import/delete as needed. When I get around to it I'll clean out from the device the now-unused saved points (formerly called Favorites), same with Recent files. I do these to unclutter the device. My brain does not handle clutter well, it freaks out.

I know it seems like a lot and maybe it's a new way but I've been doing it this way for at least 12 yrs starting with an older Garmin nuvi device and just continued on with the 595. The 595 can be quirky but I've found very predictable and extremely reliable results this way. It may take a little getting used to but it works for me. Certainly there are other ways for other people but my US Navy-trained analytical mind does not comprehend other ways of file management in Base Camp and on the device.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

Thanks guys.......

A lot of info and the learning curve is kinda steep for me. I am not sure how/what will be easiest for me to relearn the way I do things now using BC ALL the time. I did have an issue a few weeks back where I drew a track and added waypoints. Loaded the track to the 595 and forgot to add the waypoints.......I use my GPS when I ride my motorcycle so NOT everyday, which does not help with being proficient/faster. In this past case my wife had written down the mile markers so not having the waypoints was not critical.

Sure I will be back to as a few questions. I appreciate the feedback/help.