Memory Card

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Memory Card

Post by jfheath »

Did you get this sorted [mention]patrickg450[/mention] ?

Much of what [mention]rbentnail[/mention] said is spot on, but reading through this again, I suspect that the way that you are trying to do things is not correct and a simple change of procedure will make life a whole lot easier for you.

Eg

You are wanting to create a route. A track is something different.
It sounds like you are putting waypoints onto the map, but they are not attached to the route.
There is a way to transfer all of your information about your trip in one operation including any unattached waypoints

Let me know, I will see if I can help.

-----------

I know you have a 595, but my 590 is much the same in many respects

I always use the internal memory for my routes. On the 590, any routes transferred to internal memory remain in the Zumo forever. You cannot delete any routes that you have transferred. Zumo 590 doesn't have that option. (Using Windows explorer and deleting th Temp.gpx file will do it though.)

Once transferred, they have to be imported in the Zumo itself. Imported files can be deleted at the Zumo, but that doesn't delete the transferred files, so it can be imported again. I think the Zumo has a limit of 20 routes that are imported at any one time. So if you have a 40 day trip, you can transfer all 40 days to internal memory. And then import or delete whichever ones you want at any time.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

To answer your question......

Sort of. I played with it for a bit. Some of it made sense some did not. You are correct, I am using waypoints but they do not seem to be transferring.

What is the easiest way to get my waypoints on to the GPS?
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

patrickg450 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:18 pm What is the easiest way to get my waypoints on to the GPS?
First of all, I need to be sure that we are talking about the same thing. A 'WayPoint' is not a point on a route. Not necessarily anyway. A WayPoint is a location that already exists in a database of Waypoints (or Points of Interest), or a point which you add to the database using the Basecamp Waypoint tool - the one with the flag icon. Basecamp comes with thousands of predefined WayPoints, and many of them have the location, address, phone number, elevation, …. all sorts of stuff that you may find useful.

You can add a Waypoint to a route. But you can also add other routing points which are non-descript and serve only to make sure that your route stays on a particular road.

But lets stick with creating a route using just Waypoints and the flag icon. This is not the only way that you can make a route, but it is a way which may help you to understand how the Waypoints are not becoming part of your route. Other people will have different ideas - but stick with this for now.

In Basecamp, create a List Folder. Right Click 'My Collection' and select 'New List Folder' Call it something sensible -eg 'Demonstrations'
Right click on the new folder 'Demonstrations' and select 'New List' - call it something sensible like 'Patrick Route 1'
Left click on the list 'Patrick Route 1' so that it is selected.
Click on the Waypoint Tool - the red flag on the menu ribbon.
Drop a flag on 4 locations to create your route. For this exercise, drop them onto names of towns on the map. This is not important, but the town names already exists as Waypoints in the database. If you drop the flag somewhere else, it will name it with a number, which you can rename.

In the bottom left pane, you will see your 4 Waypoints listed. Highlight all of them (Click each in turn by holding down the CTRL key and left clicking each in turn - OR - left click the top one, hold down the shift key and left click the bottom one.

With all of the point highlighted, right click on one of the points, and select 'Create Route from Selected Waypoints'.
The route will be created and placed in the bottom left pane with (hopefully) a motorcycle symbol alongside it.

Double click the route.

The dialog box that appears allows you to shift the WayPoints around - either by selecting a point and using the arrows on the right, or by dragging and dropping. The map shows the changes as you make them, but shows the route as straight lines. (And it has an annoying bug which connects the last point in the list to some random other point. Ignore it.

Click Recalculate.

------------------------------

To transfer the route and all of its associated Waypoints and any Shaping Points (Which I haven't mentioned).
Make sure that your Zumo is connected and that it has finished talking to Basecamp.
Left click the route to select it. Just the route - not the Waypoints.
Click on the menu at the top Device / Send to Device / Send Selection to Device and choose Internal Memory.

Now watch carefully in the top left pane underneath the Zumo Device, alongside 'Internal Memory'. You should see a green line go across and then disappear. A tick in a green circle should then appear on the folder icon, next to Internal Memory. If it doesn't, then it hasn't transferred - possibly because Basecamp is still reading data from the Zumo, having just plugged it in.

You can then go to the Zumo and Import your route. All of the Waypoints associated witht he route will have been transferred and imported as well.

I'm just knocking up a video of this for you to post on YouTube. When its ready I'll paste a link to it.
Here it is. https://youtu.be/pzQTKTZ1Vc4

I hope this helps.

In the meantime, I have a whole series of videos relating to Basecamp - and some rather complex issues with Zumo 590 and 595 - but Video #3, 4 and 4a may be relevant.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 3Dv3nejNDS

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

patrickg450 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:18 pm To answer your question......

Sort of. I played with it for a bit. Some of it made sense some did not. You are correct, I am using waypoints but they do not seem to be transferring.

What is the easiest way to get my waypoints on to the GPS?
Sometimes our long-winded friend makes it other than simple ;) so:

Are you SURE your are transferring waypoints? I mentioned before, terminology is extremely important. A point from a track is NOT a waypoint. A point you made to create a route is probably NOT a waypoint.

Tho technically not correct in a long-winded sort of way, think of it this way -> A waypoint that will transfer to your device is is made ONLY by using the waypoint creation icon. That's the one that looks like a flag. You click the icon then click your desired point. In the bottom left you double click your newly created waypoint to change the name, symbol, etc.

Now you DRAG & DROP the waypoint to User Memory. NO copy & paste, NO file/transfer to device.

Now you import the waypoint onto the device. It will show up in the Where To/Saved.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

Ok I will give that a try, but if I make like 20 or so waypoints on a track or a route. Do I have to import all of them?
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

If in a route or track you just need to import the route/track.
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

patrickg450 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:06 am Ok I will give that a try, but if I make like 20 or so waypoints on a track or a route. Do I have to import all of them?
If you are wanting JUST the waypoints on your device then yes, you must import all of them. Fret not, you can import multiples, you don't have to import 20 individually. I use waypoints in this way for saved places- a particular spot that I want saved- like a friend's house, a restaurant, etc.

If you are using waypoints to create a ROUTE, the waypoints become either via (alert) or shaping (don't alert) when the route is made. You double click the route name to edit this. You then DRAG & DROP the route to the device User Memory and import it. The routing points show up as described in detail by jfheath.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

patrickg450 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:26 pm I did have an issue a few weeks back where I drew a track and added waypoints.
I suspect this statement is where some of your problems lie. Please note- CAPS used below designate important words that have specific meaning. I'm not yelling ;) .

You do not draw a TRACK. A track is where you have already been, like leaving tracks to follow again while walking in the woods. A ROUTE is what you draw to put on your DEVICE (your gps) to follow.

When you add WAYPOINTS to your ROUTE by using the flag icon, they are converted to something else. They are no longer WAYPOINTS and will not transfer as WAYPOINTS do, unless you include them in your DRAG & DROP.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

rbentnail:

I realise my post was rather lengthy, but sometimes while a short answer may answer the question being asked, it doesn't necessarily answer the underlying problem. For example - I suspected that Patrick's waypoints did not actually form part of his route and that the issues that he was having pointed to something more that just not being able to view the waypoints on the Zumo. And I still don't know if he is actually drawing a track or trying to build a route. Hence my rather long post in an attempt to demonstrate as simple but unambiguous way of creating a route that works. Although not the best way that I do it, it makes a number of important points which I thought would solve the problems that I believe that Patrick is having in . I may be wrong about this, but if I am, you have the straight forward solutions covered.

Personally, I hate step by step instructions, but I do like to understand, so sometimes a visual demonstration helps. Which is why I also prepared a video on YouTube. It hasn't been watched all the way through as yet - so here is the link again.

https://youtu.be/pzQTKTZ1Vc4

I am not pretending that this is the best way to do it, but it does cover the essential bits and pieces of making a route with waypoints. And establishes what a route is - I still do not know if Patrick is using the track tool or the route creation tool for what he is trying to do. But I think it is clear that his Waypoints are not actually part of a route.

However - something you said about importing Waypoints, was new to me. My model is the 590, not a 595, and the option to import additional waypoints is a bit hit and miss on the 590 to say the least.

When a route is transferred to internal memory, all of the waypoints and routing points are transferred with it. The Waypoints (and just the Waypoints) are automatically added to the list of Favourites. ('Where To / Favourites'). There is no need to import them.

When a route is transferred to memory card, the Waypoints do not get added to the list of favourites automatically. They have to be imported. But the Import option declares that there is no data to import. The same happens if just Waypoints are transferred. I can verify that they are there (in current.gpx), but you cannot get hold of them on the Zumo.

UNLESS - (and I thought I was going mad when I found this out) If there happens to be a Waypoint that has been transferred to internal memory and it is still available for importing, THEN the Waypoints on the memory card will also show up to be imported. In other words, The Zumo only seems to check internal memory before displaying the message 'No data available'. It only seems to check the SD card when there is data available in internal memory.

I cannot say whether this is the situation with the 595 - but it might be worth verifying. It is difficult to test, because getting rid of the Waypoints to import from internal memory is not straight forward. Getting rid of routes and waypoint from the SD card is a doddle because there are separate numbered files routesx.gpx and waypoints.gpx - and this be also be done from Basecamp for individual points. Not so for internal memory.

patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

ok a lot of good info here. Let me do some explaining in brief points:

I have been GPS'ing for over 13 years on my Motorcycle
We follow tracks as they are are precise and easier when it comes to off road
We use waypoints to ID spots, camping, fuel or "cut offs" to get back to town for supplies and whatnot

I have SOOOOO many tracks, I combine them and edit them b4 going out on an adventure. Then I email my tracks to my riding buddies so they can load them on to their device and we can simply follow the line on our journey.

I dont like routes, they dont always work and when it comes to going off road if there in not a "road" in the GPS yet I am riding down one, or a trail perhaps the GPS freaks out and tells me to turn around.

If I were driving to a friends house, or to a destination area like a National Forrest then routes do work and I have used them, but I prefer to follow a line.

I am trying to find the easiest way to load and old track, with good waypoints into my 595. The last few times I did it I had the track(s) but not the waypoints. I am assuming I have to "import" them like I do with the tracks.

Weather I am following a track or a route I want my waypoints to come on the GPS so I can stop for a picture, veer off to go to a point of interest, then backtrack and continue onward......make a camping spot on a trail. There are several reasons I mark places in my journey, and I have used waypoints to identify them.