Zumo 590 + 595 - What the Manuals Do not Tell.

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
jfheath
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 91 times
Great Britain

Re: Zumo 590 - What the Manuals Do not Tell.

Post by jfheath »

sussamb wrote: 01 Jun 2020 22:23 Thistledown Lane is indeed shown on the CN NA map, and is navigable on it, but as you say it doesn't actually exist :D
Thanks @sussamb . That helps to support my suspicions in the above post. I was almost certain that would have been the case, the more that I thought about it. My concern was the number of additional points that had been created in the Zumo on the section of road in question. If you haven't seen it - click the link that I have edited into my previous post. That would have been a real nightmare to sort out if that could happen simply by misplacing a route point.

Normally, if a single point is placed off road, Zumo and Basecamp both do the same thing - navigate to the road that is closest to the point, warn that you need to navigate off road and plots a straight line to the point (eg across a field). And indeed, when I rebuild the route on Basecamp with just the route points, that is what my Basecamp does using the OSM maps.
Last edited by jfheath on 09 Jan 2021 16:47, edited 1 time in total.
ST1300A9 - Currently: Zumo 590/5 and Zumo XT - Previous: Zumo 550 and Zumo 660
Wired Autocom and Bluetooth to Android Smartphone
rbentnail
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 82 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

jfheath wrote: 01 Jun 2020 12:17 @rbentnail

Would you mind providing me with a screen shot of your Basecamp route please - the gdb file that you linked to here download/file.php?id=143. Its the route from Linville to Yellow Mountain.
I am particularly interested in how this appears on your screen in Basecamp- the section from Linville to Oak Grove Baptist Church - so if you could zoom in to show as much detail as possible on the one screen, that would be brilliant.
Herein lies problem #1- I have spent 2 days trying to learn how to do this. I have been through my laptop manual twice. I have no idea how to provide you with a screenshot. The word "screenshot" is not a technical term Toshiba uses. "PRINTSC" prints but does not paste. There are 115 places the word "screen" is used but nothing about a "screenshot".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been reading with great interest your diagnosis. Actually that's a stretch. for me, it's more like decyphering a foreign language. But I think I get the idea. Both Base Camp and Google maps show a navigable road but somehow the same map in the zumo thinks there isn't a road there? Is that what I should be getting out of this? And if so, how then does one know up front, before trying to actually ride the route? After all, both Base Camp and the zumo preview show the correct route.

Reasoning "why" in my head seems moot- if the mapping thinks there is no road it won't go there but it will attempt to send me through a fenced field where there is no road. And down railroad tracks where there is no road. And across an unbridged river where there is no road.
Russ B. Zumo 595,
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

So, contemplating for a while on this, it seems I simply need to avoid using roads that are clearly marked in Base Camp as roads that are in fact not roads. Right? :roll:
Russ B. Zumo 595,
sussamb
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 193 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Well it's not BaseCamp but the map, CN NA. That map has the road as routeable so BaseCamp is happy with it. The error is with HERE, the company that supply the map to Garmin, you can report map errors directly to HERE at https://mapcreator.here.com/mapcreator/ ... 0,3,normal or Garmin, who would then pass it to HERE, at https://my.garmin.com/mapErrors/report.faces
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

rbentnail wrote: 02 Jun 2020 15:31 So, contemplating for a while on this, it seems I simply need to avoid using roads that are clearly marked in Base Camp as roads that are in fact not roads. Right? :roll:
Now you've got it !

There's absolutely nothing you could have done about this situation - nothing that would have made sense at the time anyway.

But there are things you can do to help to deal with the the gotchas that the Zumo can throw up. Its largely to do with making sure you plan routes in a particular way and use the various types of point to best advantage. Get it right (and it isn't difficult) and you will be able to keep your hands off the Zumo when riding and either follow or ignore the instructions and know exactly what the Zumo will do as a result.

Give me a day or two, and I'll put some simple, jargon free, easy to follow, illustrated notes for you.

Is Linville local to you ? It will make more sense if I can create a local example for you to go out and try.

Don't bother about the screen shot - sorry the request gave you a headache. @sussamb provided me with the confirmation that there was no road on the Garmin maps, which was what I needed to see.
Last edited by jfheath on 09 Jan 2021 16:48, edited 1 time in total.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Nope, I said there was a road but it doesn't exist on the ground, or is that what you meant to say?
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Quite right. Yes thats what I meant.
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

jfheath wrote: 02 Jun 2020 18:36
Is Linville local to you ? It will make more sense if I can create a local example for you to go out and try.
Linville is about 150 miles to the west of me. I'm in a town called Asheboro, North Carolina. Would it help if I provided you with routes? I have many that I have never had a problem with, perhaps you can tell me the differences that make them "right" to follow.
Russ B. Zumo 595,
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

One thing that would be useful to know is how you create these routes. Do you generally import routes from other sources or create your own? Either way do you install or create them directly on your device or use BaseCamp and then send the routes to your Zumo? Have you any feel for which methodology tends to give you more problems?
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

rbentnail wrote: 03 Jun 2020 05:52
Linville is about 150 miles to the west of me. I'm in a town called Asheboro, North Carolina. Would it help if I provided you with routes? I have many that I have never had a problem with, perhaps you can tell me the differences that make them "right" to follow.
If they work OK, then there is no problem - but yes, send me some and I'll certainly take a look and offer suggestions. I'll pm you an email address if that is easier to use than adding attachments on here.