Zumo 595 lost the maps whilst on holiday

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
mickshere
Has liked: 12 times
Great Britain

Zumo 595 lost the maps whilst on holiday

Post by mickshere »

We are touring in France, 2 days ago after a coffee I tried to turn the zumo back on but it didn't respond, I pulled and refitted the battery, it powered up and said maps updated....
It completely screwed the maps, France no longer existed! We used a map to travel the next 120 miles to our hotel.
The hotel were fantastic and allowed me to download garmin express onto a creaky old laptop over the WiFi... many many hours later it failed when updating the device, being stupid I just tried again, and again, and again finally being successful at 5.15 the next morning.

It's working brilliantly again although the screen isn't great to read in the sunlight.

Question, can someone please advise a better course of action if it does it again
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Zumo 595 lost the maps whilst on holiday

Post by sussamb »

Not really, if it's gone it's gone. I have an old map that I keep permanently on my devices just in case something goes wrong, never had to use it and it's well out of date but at least it's there 'just in case' :)
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

mickshere wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:57 pm We are touring in France, 2 days ago after a coffee I tried to turn the zumo back on but it didn't respond, I pulled and refitted the battery, it powered up and said maps updated....
It completely screwed the maps, France no longer existed! We used a map to travel the next 120 miles to our hotel.
The hotel were fantastic and allowed me to download garmin express onto a creaky old laptop over the WiFi... many many hours later it failed when updating the device, being stupid I just tried again, and again, and again finally being successful at 5.15 the next morning.

It's working brilliantly again although the screen isn't great to read in the sunlight.

Question, can someone please advise a better course of action if it does it again
Man oh man, this is my greatest fear now that I've "updated" to a 595. I wish I had an answer for you. It's why I've decided to take my own laptop on my travels. At least I already have G. Express, Base Camp etc. plus my routes to reload. I wonder if there's some obscure setting way down deep in a menu that has to be unchecked or something. The manual for this unit is not real good at menu hierarchy descriptions.

It's not happened to me yet so I'm wondering if it's the things I do differently. I do not use Bluetooth for anything. Also I do not turn it off when I stop. I remove it from the cradle, select "cancel" when it says it's going to shut off and drop it in a bag out of sight.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
mickshere
Great Britain

Post by mickshere »

sussamb wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:24 pm Not really, if it's gone it's gone. I have an old map that I keep permanently on my devices just in case something goes wrong, never had to use it and it's well out of date but at least it's there 'just in case' :)
Great idea, I'll put a map on the sd card!
Last edited by mickshere on Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mzeist
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 31 times
Netherlands

Post by mzeist »

That is really bad luck. I have used mine intensively for the last 4 years (and still do) and never have lost my maps. It has crashed however many times. Switching the device off whilst in a powered mount seems to get it astray often. I haven't however ever removed the battery to 'fix' it (as the battery connector is bad I'd rather never touch that) Every time its 'dead' I can revive the device bij pressing and holding de power button for 12..14 seconds, and then it boots fine. every time.
Last edited by mzeist on Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Groet, Marcel.
ST1300 - Etrex Vista, 60CS, Co300, SPIII, SP2610, Nuvi760, Zumo660, Or650, Nuvi3590, Zumo590/5, Zumo XT
HarveyM
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 8 times
Canada

Post by HarveyM »

I keep an 'Open Street Maps' map as a backup (on a SD card) for my zumo 660.
http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
Open Street Maps doesn't have the features of the garmin maps (speed limits, 3d buildings, lane assist) but the maps and points of interest are good (at least in my experience).

Another option is use a smart phone app as backup. That covers you in case of any Zumo problems.
mickshere
Great Britain

Post by mickshere »

Interesting point mzeist it didn't power up again the other day, I pressed and held the on button and it came up ok although some notifications had defaulted, not a good thing in France because sat nav are not allowed to have speed camera position alerts enabled. But I was thinking the same thing, I turned the bike off and pulled the unit out of the mount and I was wondering if it had finished powering down.... when I get back to Britain (And I know where I am :( I'll have a play and see if I can prove whether it's related