Planning a route with waypoints

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
probe
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Planning a route with waypoints

Post by probe »

I know that it is advisable to use shaping points as well as waypoints and I have done for my routes, but my query is:-

If you stop in the middle of a route and switch off the zumo (battery doesn't last long enough to leave it on), it gives a list of waypoints for you to choose from for your restart. In Basecamp I numbered all my waypoints from 1 to xx to make it easier to select the correct waypoint to go to next. However when the route is transferred to the zumo the numbering sequence has disappeared and the original naming of street names and road numbers shows. Is there any way to list waypoints so that they show in a logical order on the zumo?
Breezly
Subscriber
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Re: Planning a route with waypoints

Post by Breezly »

I've never experienced this issue of the device not picking up a route when restarted. After stopping mid-route and shutting off the GPS, on starting up again the GPS will always just pick up where I am and continue with the route. This happens regardless of whether I stop at a via point, shaping point, or just randomly along the route.
I don't know if it would make any difference but I have auto recalculation turned off.
Learn Garmin Basecamp with New England Riders Tutorial:
https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/
probe
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by probe »

Thanks Breezly. I don' have auto calculation turned off so I will give that a try. When turning the zumo on after a break, I am not given the option to go to the map. I only have the option of selecting a waypoint from a list of meaningless road numbers and street names. Hopefully your suggestion will help.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

The issue is not Shaping Points vs Waypoints.

Waypoints are locations that are prepared and stored ready for use - maybe in a route, maybe not. They contain additional information such as address, phone number, elevation. They can be created in Basecamp using the flag tool, or obtained from the database that comes with Basecamp.

Waypoints can be used in a route. But when they are, they become Via Points - at least initially. Any shaping point can be made into a Via Point. Any Via Point can be made into a shaping point. Waypoints show up on the Zumo in the list of favourites.

A route consists of a Start Point, an End Point and possible mixtures of Via Points and Shaping Points. Whether any of these is a Waypoint or not is largely irrelevant to the route itself.

When the Zumo starts up and asks where you want to go to next on starting a route, it will show a list of the Via Points in the route. Not the list of Waypoints. If those that were Waypoints have been made non alerting (Shaping Points), they will not show. You can change points in Trip Planner App, even for the Unsaved active trip. Go to THE 3 bar menu once the list of trip points is displayed and click the 3 bar menu to Edit Destinations. Click on flags (Via Points) to make them into shaping points, and click on circles (Shaping Points) to make them into Via Points. The new Vias will then show up in the list of destinations when you click Go.

I have never experienced a loss of the names that I have used for any routing point. Neither have I been asked to start a route after turning the unit off. I usually add a day number so that I know which points belong to which day of my trip and If I am going to foreign countries, I go over the top and number them once I have finished planning according to the distance from the start. That way, should I need to reload a route, or start somewhere in the middle, I can check my trip meter to see what come next from the list of unknown foreign placenames which mean nothing to me.

So far I have never lost one of them. If you can repeat the conditions and let us know, I will try to duplicate the issue.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.