Joining a route

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
probe
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Joining a route

Post by probe »

I used to have a Zumo 660lm and recently changed to 595lm If I found it necessary to join a route that was prepared on Basecamp (other than at the very beginning), the 660 would ask if i wanted to start the route from the beginning. Selecting NO allowed the 660 to direct me from my current location onto the planned route. However the 595 does not seem to have this option, but shows a list of waypoints that mean nothing unless I have access to Basecamp. Can anyone suggest how to join a route other than starting from the beginning.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Joining a route

Post by sussamb »

Select whichever waypoint on the route you wish to visit first, you'll then be taken there and will follow the route from there.
probe
Great Britain

Post by probe »

Thanks sussamb. Now got to try and use waypoint names that actually mean something.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

probe wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:14 pm Thanks sussamb. Now got to try and use waypoint names that actually mean something.
Exactly right! My nuvi simply asks if I want to start at the beginning. If I answer no then it just displays the route and I join in at any point. The 595 does not do that. Even if you are in totally unfamiliar territory 1000 miles from home you still have to know which waypoint to start at.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
probe
Great Britain

Post by probe »

We seem to be going backwards with technology instead of moving forward. 590/595 also having problems with Bluetooth connections which never happened on the 660
pidjones
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by pidjones »

probe wrote:We seem to be going backwards with technology instead of moving forward. 590/595 also having problems with Bluetooth connections which never happened on the 660
Exactly! But they are selling like crazy, Garmin is dropping support for the older ones and forcing us to buy the new junk. And yes, coming out with maps that are too big to fit on the older ones is forced obsolescence. Most of the new data on map updates is updated POI data, not road changes that take about a decade for updates to filter down. Really cool to be riding down a ten year-old highway that Garmin depicts as an open field!
thomsork
Great Britain

Post by thomsork »

probe wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:46 pm We seem to be going backwards with technology instead of moving forward. 590/595 also having problems with Bluetooth connections which never happened on the 660
Couldn't agree more with the bluetooth connections. The older 660 had far better bluetooth audio
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

pidjones wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:45 am And yes, coming out with maps that are too big to fit on the older ones is forced obsolescence.
Not really, just use a sd card.