For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
FireEater
United States of America

Updated Info other then Maps

Post by FireEater »

Hi all,

First day on the forum.

From Florida, USA.

I just purchased a new 595LM. It's in the mail.

Question. With all that is offered in the GPS, does when updating maps also update the other items in the GPS like POI's, helmet laws, etc., or does it just update the map and operation software?
blacktiger
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Re: Updated Info other then Maps

Post by blacktiger »

It won't alter the stuff you have put on it like your own waypoints etc. It will update the maps and unit software if available. So when your unit arrives you should plug it in and get the latest updates installed.

I don't know how any GPS is going to tell you what the helmet law is.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Map updates also update the Garmin POIs.
FireEater
United States of America

Post by FireEater »

Thanks.

Got the GPS in today and already updated what ever it was going to update.

Now to dink around with it until I use it this weekend.

Will install on the bike tomorrow and away I go.

Now to learn and understand Basecamp. I started tonight....BIGGG learning curve, but with all the youtube vids, I am up to the challenge.

1st thing I learned was plug in the GPS to the PC while working Basecamp so I get all the roads on the map when trying to create a route, and not just see the main roads....
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

FireEater wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:38 am Thanks.

Got the GPS in today and already updated what ever it was going to update.

Now to dink around with it until I use it this weekend.

Will install on the bike tomorrow and away I go.

Now to learn and understand Basecamp. I started tonight....BIGGG learning curve, but with all the youtube vids, I am up to the challenge.

1st thing I learned was plug in the GPS to the PC while working Basecamp so I get all the roads on the map when trying to create a route, and not just see the main roads....
Patience Grasshoppah, and all good things will come your way! ;)

First, you do not need to plug your gps in to "get all the roads", sounds like you need to work with the toolbar directly above the map area. Right click it, there's a button to add called 'activity detail'. That's where you set the detail level to see all the roads.

I highly recommend, when starting out, do NOT have your gps connected when creating routes. The file system can be confusing & if you're not extremely careful you'll be changing the routes you don't want to be changing. I learned the hard way, I never connect my gps until I'm ready to transfer routes.

The new england riders tutorial will help make it all make sense. http://www.newenglandriders.org/GPS/Learn_BaseCamp.htm
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Well he might have to plug in his GPS, depends if he's loaded maps to his computer?
pidjones
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by pidjones »

Also, you really need to plan a route and ride it over known roads to make sure you are getting it right.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

sussamb wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:52 am Well he might have to plug in his GPS, depends if he's loaded maps to his computer?
This is true, got me there! But when he said "plug in the GPS to the PC while working Basecamp" I naturally assumed he loaded the same maps to his PC.

OP, if you haven't downloaded maps to your PC, do it! Creating/editing maps directly on your gps is gonna cause you many headaches. And read this thread -> viewtopic.php?f=12&t=361.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Sleuth
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 16 times
Belgium

Post by Sleuth »

rbentnail wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:07 am
sussamb wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:52 am Well he might have to plug in his GPS, depends if he's loaded maps to his computer?
OP, if you haven't downloaded maps to your PC, do it! Creating/editing maps directly on your gps is gonna cause you many headaches. And read this thread -> viewtopic.php?f=12&t=361.
If the OP can. If they have the travel edition, then they will not be able to easily download the maps to the computer. As you can change which map you have on the GPS, you are not allowed to download onto the computer. This means you need to store it on a removable drive, which causes its own set of problems!

Best regards
Sleuth
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT, BMW Navigator IV
Maps: Europe NTU 2024.10
Software: Basecamp (4.7.4) & Mapsource (6.16.3)
Computer: PC (Windows 11 Home)
Motorcycle: BMW R1200GSA (2020)