595LM Automotive use?

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

595LM Automotive use?

Post by rbentnail »

I have never attempted to use my 595 in my pickup, I have an old nuvi 780 for that. But lately the nuvi is acting weird so I decided to chuck the 595 on the seat "just in case". Turns out the automotive charging cord is wrong- it won't fit the device. A "standard" "normal" USB cord fits fine but the cord sent in the Zumo box has a slightly larger USB end and it simply won't fit to power the device. So, a couple questions:

- Garmin recommends that a Garmin supplied cable be used only. Anyone use something else with no problems? I do with my PC so...
- Anyone come across this before with the automotive cable?
- Anyone order a new Garmin automotive cable? I don't want to order the same bogus thing over.

I sent Garmin an email, I'm in no hurry, I'll just use a "regular" USB cable for now. But I'm curious as to how this could happen and if anyone else has seen this. The supplied cable has the Garmin triangle on it so I'm sure it's genuine, how can it not fit? Anyway, when you get a chance, check out your automotive charging cord and see what you got, just in case.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Re: 595LM Automotive use?

Post by Stu »

The cable is designed to be plugged in to the windscreen mount and it also powers the speaker that's in the mount
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

Sounds like you need one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Garm ... rk:15:pf:0 to plug the cable into.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Gee, I feel pretty stupid right now :oops: . Never considered a speaker- I haven't in many yrs used a gps audible instructions.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A