Zumo 595 thoughts after 1500km (1000 mile tour)

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 354 times
Great Britain

Re: Zumo 595 thoughts after 1500km (1000 mile tour)

Post by sussamb »

Exactly. Thanks for posting the screen shots, may help him understand.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

rbentnail wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:17 pm Apparently you don't own a 595. Otherwise you would know what you're talking about:
No I don't but the current crop of Garmin devices pretty much work the same and the video I linked to explains how to achieve what you want on the 595, as do the screen shots above. Hopefully you will now be able to do what you want ;)
Skipper
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times
Sweden

Post by Skipper »

sussamb wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:12 pm Sounds more like a map issue and nothing to do with your device. Can you post which road?
I have experienced this, f.ex. the GPS would not take me over the then new bridge over The Sound.
Whn I zoomed to maximum I could see why.

There was actually a gap but the ends touched each other but was not connected.

Has since also happened on a smaller road in Denmark

I have been able to fix it by putting a viapoint exactly whehe the ends meet.
2010 Vulcan 1700 CT (Nomad)
RV Kabe Travelmaster 880 LT Royal
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

mzeist wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:50 pm step1.PNG

step2.PNG
Geez :oops:
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Does that mean you've now worked it out?
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

sussamb wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:22 pm Does that mean you've now worked it out?
I see the selections, haven't tried anything yet.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
KSza1
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Post by KSza1 »

Thanks sussamb and mzeist for showing me where the "skip tool" is located in the 595. That's a big help. I had contacted garmin asking
about a skip tool and there reply was there was none on the 595 and you could not skip a waypoint. You could drive around shaping points
but you had no option but to drive through a waypoint. This was there reply.

Thanks for choosing Garmin. If a shaping point needs to be skipped, ignore the device temporarily until you merge back onto your custom route. If your device recognizes that you are in a position that is further along in your custom route, it will automatically skip any shaping points which you have passed and will continue navigating to your upcoming waypoints or shaping points.

Note: This will only occur with shaping points. Your device will not automatically skip waypoints in your custom route unless you navigate to them.

They did not mention the change route tool having the skip options. Again thanks for bringing that option to my attention. I had opted to use the 595 this past weekend and once again was not very happy with it and was contemplating loading it with the 590 firmware as I had read in another post. But
having the skip option even though more keystrokes than the 590 is a least doable. Really not sure why they differentiate between a shaping and a waypoint for skipping. I believe the 590 just skips the next point on the list regardless of what it is.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Thanks for that information about the 595.

The 590 has a skip button, but you have to enable it as one of the visible map tools.

The answer that they gave you is almost correct, but not quite.
Correct is that if you join the plotted magenta line after a shaping point, then the satnav will automatically skip the shaping point. (Ie it wont try to take you back to it). However it is possible to by pass a number of routing points in this fashion, and if one of them is a via point, then it will not skip that. I haven't got a clue which one of the missed points it will try to take you back to in thise circumstances. You just have to be careful about how close together you put your routing points.

The 590 will skip Shaping points on rejoining the plotted route after the shaping point. It will never skip a Via point in the same way.

What is wrong in the statement from The helpdesk is "the satnav will not skip Waypoints". A waypoint is just a point which was obtained from a database, or was created with the Waypoint tool in Basecamp. They have additional information stored with the location such as address, phone number, elevation etc. Waypoints can be plotted without being part of a route. They can show up in the favourites, and on the map as heart shapes. They are not necessarily part of a route. Routes consist of a start point, an end point and optionally Via Points and Shaping Points.

You can put a waypoint into a route and by default it will become a Via point. But any Waypoint can be made into a Shaping point in Basecamp or on the Zumo. Any Shaping Points Will be skipped automatically if the route is joined after the shaping point - including the ones that were created as Waypoints. The zumo refers to the waypoints that it knows about as 'favourites'.

Always suspect the 590 / 595 / 39x owner who calls points in a route 'Waypoints'. It is a pretty sure sign that they haven't fully grasped the difference between Shaping Points and Via Points.

A better response from the help desk would be that the satnav will skip Shaping Points automatically, but wii not skip Via Points if you rejoin the plotted route after the missed point.

Why have both ?

Via points will alert you as you approach and arrive. Shaping points do not.
You can display data about Via points on the map eg time to reach, distance to Via etc. You cant with Shaping points.
When you press Go to start a route it asks where you want to go to next. It will list only the Via Points, not the shaping points.

In my opinion the display after pressing GO should say, "where do you want to join your route" - because whatever you choose, the satnav will calculate a new route from where you are now to the point that you select. To do this it will use its own preferences, ignoring your plotted route until it gets there. it will only follow your plotted route once it has reached the via point that you selected.

This means that if you have NO Via points in your route apart from the start and end, and you select the end point ('cos logically, that is where you are wanting to go to) then the satnav will get you there - but ignore your plotted route completely !!

It is a good idea to plot your start point a mile or so up the road from where you will get on your bike, and select that after pressing 'Go'.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
KSza1
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Post by KSza1 »

JFheath, thanks for the reply. When I said why have both I was referring to the skip function on the 595. It gives the choice of skipping a via point or a shaping point. Since it will skip shaping points automatically why is that option there which adds a keystroke while you are riding. You only need the skip function when you are not going to travel through a via point. I believe that's why you can do a one push skip on the 590 once the map tool screen is up.
It takes 2 targeted pushes to skip a via point to accomplish the same thing on a 595. Not a big thing but since shaping points are skipped automatically why the option and not as clean(one push) a skip option as the 590 on the 595?
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Ah - ok. Shaping point are skipped automatically IF you join the plotted route after that shaping point. If you don't it will continue to try to take you back to it. Skipping then removes that point and the Zumo calculates a route to the next plotted point in the route.

[edit] The above is what happens on the 590 when you skip the next point (which applies equally to shaping or via points). I see (from CrusiemansGarage video posted a while back) that the 595 offers to skip the next shaping point or the next destination, whatever it means by 'next destination'. I am unclear about what this one will do. My guess would be that it skips the missed Via Point. I wonder if it then goes on to calculate a route to the next Via point (and thereby missing out any intermediate shaping points) ?? I really don't know - I am just hazarding a guess from what it does when you select the next destination when loading a new route and pressing 'Go'!
Someone with a 595 might like to investigate this. (I am still a little wary of loading the software for a 595 onto my 590 !!).[/edit]

• edit - 4 years later. What happens is that the selected route point - the Via Point or the Shaping point is removed from the list of route points, and the route from your current position to the end of the route is recalculated between each pair of route points that remain.

Why important ? Imagine you have plotted a point near a town, and when you arrive there is a by pass. You may eventually get back to the original route, but if you don't this sorts out the problem.

But burying the skip function two button presses deep is an issue. Especially since it can earn 6 points on your license now in the UK
Last edited by jfheath on Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.