Does the 595 Zumo lady take priority over PackTalk intercom

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
DFWKEN
United States of America

Does the 595 Zumo lady take priority over PackTalk intercom

Post by DFWKEN »

The reason I'm asking this question here on the Zumo 595 forum is because with my previous Zumos, the Zumo lady's routing instructions and alert tones would blank out my PackTalk intercom when the Zumo was connected as the second phone. To get around that, I routed my Zumo audio through my Harley radio's input and then the Harley radio's output to a Bluetooth transmitter (which I paired with the PackTalk).

Connected this way, my intercom would not be interrupted by the Zumo lady. Instead I could still communicate with others via the PackTalk intercom while the Zumo lady was giving routing instructions. This is very important to me. Ask, and I'll tell you why.

So now, I have my Harley radio headphone output connected to the Zumo's Audio IN. That works great. But my question is, does the Zumo lady and all be alert beeps blank out other audio?

And I wonder if anyone with PackTalk intercoms have experience with the Zumo 595 as their GPS. Can they still communicate via intercom while the PackTalk lady is talking? It takes two people in intercom communication to test this and I don't have anyone nearby at this time.

Ken
RadioFlyer
Been liked: 1 time
Canada

Re: Does the 595 Zumo lady take priority over PackTalk intercom

Post by RadioFlyer »

Download the new version 2 manual and see pages 24 - 25 where the audio priority scheme is explained. Offhand it sounds like your scheme has effectively demoted GPS instructions priority to that of music. Normally GPS instructions are higher priority than intercom.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

DFWKEN
United States of America

Post by DFWKEN »

I like your definition of what my scheme has done. That's exactly right. I wanted routing instructions to not take priority. Here's why:

Case in point: I'm leading 5 motorcyclists through an unfamiliar city on Interstate 40. We're looking for the Denny's for breakfast. The Zumo lady told me to take the next exit. So I gave the other riders behind me that instruction via intercom.

This is where it got sticky:. The zumo lady started giving me instruction after instruction. I couldn't get a word in edgewise to the other riders. The instructions were coming so quickly at 50 mph that they were stacked together. I could follow them, but couldn't tell the riders behind me what I was doing. It was utter confusion. When we parked in the Denny's parking lot, I was scolded for not telling the others what I was doing; which created problems for them. Brake lights and turn signals weren't enough.

We arrived safely, but it could have been much more coordinated if I could have been in intercom communication as the Zumo lady was giving instructions. "Hey, she's telling me to exit and then take the first right."

When I came up with the XM transmitter scheme, we could be in an internet conversation and the Zumo lady might say something without blanking out my buds.
dave726
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by dave726 »

A work around would be to stop the route, Search for the Denny's, then Goto. That should give you fewer nav directs.

When you mount up to continue, you should be able to resume your route. Test it out before your next 5 cycle pileup.
alan sh
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 26 times
Great Britain

Post by alan sh »

Learn to use the Buddy system http://www.manhoc.hoc.org.uk/buddy.html

Alan
Alan
Owner of 3 Zumo 660's, one 346 and 2 bikes